Question about Gaining mass while training WOD's

Started by Gustav, October 13, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,648 Views

Gustav

Hey guys! Lately I have been wondering a lot about gaining some mass! I'm only 15 years old and i'm very lean but I really think I need to get bigger! Here is my dilemma.

I eat more so I can gain some mass. But is it very necessary to do hypertrophy training?

The thing is that i'm very focused on Planche, Front lever, Pushing strenght and WOD's.

I always do the WOD and want to keep doing that and gain strenght, but can I still gain mass then?

I really want to keep gaining strenght but is it very necessary to switch to a hypertrophy program? And if so, how can I set up my training then?

Thanks :)

Larry Roseman

There was a simlar thread elsewhere.

When you're starting from scratch, almost anything you do will add some mass.

This training is geared for strength, and strength doesn't always = mass. Mass will build

until it is sufficent for the strength required. In fact, for gymnastics it's better to have the

strength at the lowest mass(weight) neccessary.

Could you do some thing additionally to add more mass? I'm sure you could supplement

the WODs with basic mass building exercises. Are you talking upper body mainly?

2 or even 1 sets of 8-12 (1xweek) should be enough given the GB work (you don't want to over train and

eat into your recovery). Stuff like bicep curls, flat bench, shoulder press or incline bench and rows.

Weighted pullups/pushups are other options. Possibly squats for legs/full body once a week, 6-8 reps.

Increase the weight when it gets too easy.

It's not a lot but you want to err on the side of caution and build up slowly when combining programs, especially as your body is still growing. If it doesn't add any mass in 4-6 months you can look at adding more volume, keeping in mind

that you may need to cut back on GB to be able to do both.

15 is pretty young still, and there aren't too many big muscular 15 year olds. Sometimes the hormones don't kick in until later, 16-18, and you will get a big growth spurt and be able to add mass more easily then. So I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point about size.

Gustav

Thanks a lot for the answer! :) I will consider adding some of these to my training. Or mabye I will just go 100% on the GB and the mass will come later. Hmm let's see. But thanks a lot!

Larry Roseman
Gustav said:
Thanks a lot for the answer! :) I will consider adding some of these to my training. Or mabye I will just go 100% on the GB and the mass will come later. Hmm let's see. But thanks a lot!

No problem :)

Something else came to mind. A friend's son was tall, maybe 5'6 as a 14-15 year old but chubby.

He had a spurt at 16-17 to 6'1 and really leaned out, which was good in his case. Personally I grew taller,

but didn't really lose my baby fat. Still trying to 30 years later!

Ideally you do want to eat enough to support both developmental growth and "appearance" growth, since the body will

prioritize development if there is only enough to do one.

Someone who works with teenage guys may know more how that goes. I am just guessing

You do have a long time for building muscles, as the peak time certainly can reach into the late 20s.

So keep going strong!