Creating work out routine for my younger athletes

Started by B-Trizzle, October 12, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,278 Views

B-Trizzle

Just wondering if anyone could give me some help putting together a workout plan for my younger gymnast, more so level 4's and beginner level 5's. It is basically what I think Coach Sommers refers to as integrated SSC. I would like them to finish this in the last 15 minutes of practice. They would run these as giant sets, and complete 2 rounds. Any input would be appreciated.

Monday-

15 second L sit hold + 5 HLL

15 second back lever hold + 5 Rows

15 second Front Lever + 5 Jumping deck squats

15 second Handstand + 5 Ring Push ups

Tuesday-

15 second L-sit hold + 5 Windshield wipers half

15 second Back lever hold+ 5 Chin ups

15 second Front lever hold + 5 SLS

15 second Handstand + 5 dips

Thursday-

15 second L-sit hold + 5 HeS RLL

15 second Back Lever hold + 5 Pull ups

15 second Front lever hold + 5 GHR ½

15 second Handstand + 5 HeS Push ups

Blairbob

I used to do something very similar with my compulsory guys. I would encourage 3 rounds but some would/could only finish 2 and on certain days if they were struggling too much (being tired, burned out, etc) 2 was just fine.

However, I would only use L-sit if they could work tuck planche (though sometimes I would let them do assisted planches like Planche Lean on an swiss ball or small octagon). To note, we also worked L-sits right after the WU at the time and some of the plank series.

I didn't combine with HS or HS wall runs at the time. I see the idea of it to be efficient with it time wise but I preferred to work HS on the wall at the very end before stretching. We would do ag walks plus box jumps or jumping pistols as a mini couplet for 2-4 rounds afterwards.

As well I ran them as a circuit instead of a giant set. Rest was allowed if needed though at first they did not understand they needed to rest or simply would not because of their youth+desired activity level (similar to when working DL they would jump around or bounce on trampoline when not doing sets).

Instead of glute ham work, I would have most of them do glute bridge while doing a hamstring curl with frisbees with 2 or one legs possibly elevating it. I did not like the glute ham negative lower with pushup variation.

B-Trizzle

Thanks for the input Blairbob. You said you have run this program before, how effective did you feel it was? what did it evolve into or is it still the same? I am looking to move it up to 3 sets in time, but I didnt want to start out to hard on my younger gymnast.

Why wouldnt you do L holds if their planche work isn't up to par? I always thought pl and L hold are two different core pushing FSP.I dont think these guys are ready for serious planche work, although they do frog stands after stretching. All of my boys have a decent L-sit for atleast 20 seconds, some even a minute in advanced. I was going to utilize the HS in place of the pl hoping it would help increase shoulder strength.

By working this out as circuit, you mean you would do your 3 sets on one station then move on to the other? I was kind of figuring it would be best to run it like the style in the WOD Embedded work outs. Atleast that is how i think it is planned.

Once again thanks for taking notice, hope we get to talk more on the subject.

B-Trizzle

Is it better to condition prior to stretch and gymnastics work out, or at the end of the work out?