Exercising without rings

Started by commodore, September 23, 2011 · 7 Replies · 2,294 Views

commodore

For various reasons I can't currently obtain rings. Is it OK if I start training front/back levers on a pull up bar or will the different grip make it unadvisable?

Julekman

Rings are great tool for strength, but if you cant have it, there is nothing wrong to work with a bar. Lots of people work on gymnastics moves hanging on a bar, and they are incredible strong.

Joshua Naterman

I do the vast majority of mine on bars.

Julekman
slizzardman said:
I do the vast majority of mine on bars.

me also

Jeremy Kieley

The only thing I've ever heard about working with a bar versus rings, is that high volume pulling work is much better done on rings. A lot of people find high volume work on a bar to be much more stressful on the elbows and what not.

It may not be an issue but just thought I'd throw it in there.

commodore

Thanks for answering everyone.

Blairbob

Make some cheap PVC rings. Get some PVC, a paint can, some sand and access to an oven.

Till then, it doesn't matter THAT much. I prefer rings, but it's better than not doing them at all.

Tyler Phillips

The pair of rings that I use are exactly like the ones Blairbob just described. I had access to a PVC blanket - thus no need for an oven - and also used PVC couplers to bind the rings together (that way they don't finish looking like toilet seats :lol: ), but other than that I used this method and it cost in the neighborhood of around $20 or so. This was also before I knew about the Xtreme Rings, and only knew about the Elite Rings, but I digress.

Now if your issue is finding a place to HANG the silly things... well I understand entirely. :|