Hello all. After finally giving in and taking a two week break from all things GymBodies and Tumbling (not even sporadic handstands), I have all but healed my forearm tendinitis that has plagued me for months (among the other injuries I've accumulated). Now that I'm in training condition again, and took a week prior to this one to ease myself back into strength training, I'm ready to tackle this thing hard.
For program design, I'm attempting to do the WODs on the site, but at a much lower scale to accommodate my current abilities (take a look at the 9/19/11 one for an example of what I was able to do). I plan on doing them on Mon, Tue, Thu, but not on Fri. Instead Fridays are open gym nights at my local gymnasium, and that time will dedicated to lots of tumbling and some entry-level skills work on pommel horse, high bar, rings (swings above all else), and p-bars - no specific structured strength training, just all skill learning/execution. I haven't had too much success working out programs on my own from the book so I wanted to try following the coach's general strength program to see if that would help. Is this a sound approach, and if not what would you all recommend?
With that in mind, some of my primary FSPs that I'm after at this time are PL, BL, and FL. A better freestanding HS never hurts either (current record is 12s). Should I go the embedding route and incorporate some specific time to training these with a closely-related WOD, or should I simply stick with what I'm given? Even super scaled-down the WODs are brutal on me, which is why I'm uncertain if more work would be beneficial. I don't do any weightlifting, other than lifting and carrying heavy objects at my job, so any embedded static work has always been done with bodyweight routines.
Also, about that, with both yesterday's and today's WOD I found that my forearms and my grip strength was taxed the most; certainly that's what started to go first, and while other parts of me are sore (namely the lats), my grip and my forearms were hit hardest. Is that standard when training at such high volume and intensity? I assume it is, but I was just curious about others' insight on it.
To give an idea of my current standings, here are some basic skills I'm capable of at the moment:
- Flat tuck BL w/ supinated grip (haven't timed this in awhile, so Idk what I would clock at)
- Tuck FL (same as above, but at least 30s)
- Pseudo Maltese Push-ups on Floor (5x5)
- Advanced L-Sit (minimum 15s)
- RLL Wall HS (hands about 6-8in from wall, usually succeed these with HePU, ie I haven't done them for reps)
- HePU (max at 2 or 3)
- L-Sit to Shoulder Stand via pike on P-Bars
- SL Jumping Squats (5x5, not always textbook form)
- To varying degrees, NLCs and GHR Halfs
Anyways, hope that helps for anyone who may have ideas for me. Also would like to say that even these lower level skills have done wonders for my strength and confidence, and I can't wait to make gains. One day I'd like to achieve my strength goal for life: A Maltese Cross. Getting there would mean a lot to me, so any help is appreciated.
As always thanks everyone. It's good to be back. ![]()