Introduction and questions

Started by Murray Truelove, September 10, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,580 Views

Murray Truelove

Hello,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while after getting the BtGB book.

I only started working out a few weeks ago and everything seems to be going fine, I got some gymnastic rings earlier this week so figured it was a good time to post my workout and just see if I'm on the right path.

There is one part of the book that I'm not sure if I've understood or not, hope it's ok to paste a few lines.

At one point it says "remain mindful that you will be engaging in a whole body workout on each of the training days." in the next paragraph it says "Each day of the training week focus on a different a press, pull, core and leg exercise."

Does this mean 1. each day I work out my whole body but pick different exercises and mix up the routine or 2. I focus on a single FBE each day like this: day1 push ups, day2 HSPU, day3 pistols etc.?

This my routine so far. Any suggestions and corrections very welcome.

Mon: Iaido

Tues: Kendo

Wed: BtGB workout

Thurs: BtGB workout

Fri: Kendo

Sat: BtGB workout

Sun: Endurance workout

During my BtGB workout I do this:

Warm up:

Static warm up:

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar support.

60s chin up grip dead hang

60s headstand

Days FSP challenge: Wed planche progression, Thur L-Sit, Sat Handstand. All working towards 60s as BtGB book outlines.

FBE:

Upper body All 3x3 or 3x5 with rings.

Push ups, rows, dips, Pull ups (pullup bar), HSPU (from floor with wall)

Core

3 Wheel abouts currently from knees.

Legs

3x15 shrimps (http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/08/e ... rkout.html)

I do the same workout on each BtGB day, my plan beeing to do it for 6-8 weeks before progressing onto the next variation of each exercise.

For my endurance workout I go to the park run a lap then 5 mins burpee pullups then run another lap and so on till I'm beat.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and help a beginner out. I've already learnt so much from reading the site.

Murray.

Rafael David

I think is all right with your plan, but try separate the days as vertical push-pull, horizontal push-pull and multi-plane push-pull. This way you'll have a more balanced training. Other thing, I think you not need do that static warm up, because if you already can hold 60s for these FSP just try focus on your goals, that's the planche, l-sit and handstand. And you also could start do german hang and front lever too, manna and straddle-l if you want too.

About the endurance training, I wouldn't do that, I think is to much, don't need that... Just do a high-partial-reps training, I mean just do a lot reps with low resistance, just to make the blood flow and you will have a good recovey. Just use a weight or variation (bodyweight) that you be able to do 25-50 reps per joint, and use antagonists like pull up (or pulley) and handstand (shoulder press), push up and row, curl and dip...

Murray Truelove

Cheers Mikael.

So instead of the static warm up I'd do all 3 FSP: handstand, L-sit and planche working up to 60s?

And on each day work on a different upper body plane of motion: wed: dips/pullups thur: push-ups/rows Sat: handstands?

This looks like it'll make my routine shorter, is that ok? It currently takes about 1.5hr.

Thanks.

Murray.

Cole Dano

Coach Sommer advises that we do all the FSPs part of the warm up, not skipping the easier ones. They shouldn't take that much out of you anyway. Some members prefer to shorten the warm up times by up to half, however Coach's athletes do hold the full length of time, but they are monsters. Also keep in mind the progression standard is to be able to do each 3 for three sets of the required time before moving on.

There are a more elements to the progression, which i believe will come out in the second edition of BthGB. But what you have is a good start. I like the idea of splitting the main FSP elements you are working on in their own days, i do this myself right now. But the warm up to that should be at least what you listed for Coach's method.

by whole body workout i believe Coach means that these exercises use your whole body rather than isolate. This is particularly true of the statics. To do them correctly every part of the body is involved in one way or another, this includes the mind BTW!

Rafael David
mtruelove said:
So instead of the static warm up I'd do all 3 FSP: handstand, L-sit and planche working up to 60s?

Yes. But is better you do the others FSP as well.

mtruelove said:
And on each day work on a different upper body plane of motion: wed: dips/pullups thur: push-ups/rows Sat: handstands?

dips + curls*

push ups + rows

HSPUs + pull ups

and multi-plane the same thing, but like me most people don't have enough basic strength to perform these, so you can just focus on the 3 pairs above...

mtruelove said:
This looks like it'll make my routine shorter, is that ok? It currently takes about 1.5hr.

Yes, is short but intense. So being short will allow you to recover more quickly!

Murray Truelove

Thanks guys for the excellent replies. I decided to drop the endurance day after reading how well Coaches athletes performed in endurance tests. I've been playing around with my routine the past few days and I've now come up with this for my BtGB workout:

Warm up (as above)

Static warm up (as above) I've kept these as in the book it stresses fundimentals and they don't take me too long)

FSP:

BL, FL, Frog, L-sit, HS.

All working towards 1 min - some I can hold for 30 secs others only 10 secs, all in set that equal 60secs

FBE:

Wed: pushups & rows + Core

Thur: HSPU & Pullups + Legs

Sat: dips & curls + Core

Sun: HSPU & Pullups +Legs

Does this look better? Should I do legs and core on the same day or on different days like above?

Thanks again.

Murray.