Self introduction and seeking some advice

Started by mongerman, September 6, 2011 · 1 Replies · 2,018 Views

mongerman

Hi guys, first off, a little introduction about myself. I'm 27 and started training with bodyweight about a year ago, focusing on high rep pushups, pullups, dips etc. About half a year ago, I switched the focus to strength and since then I have gained about 20 pounds, from 145 to my current 165 pounds. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, but would like to further improve myself and get more hypertrophy. Here are some of my numbers

Pullup - 1 rep max = bodyweight + 65 pounds. My aim is a one arm pullup and wide lats. For this, I am currently doing 8 x 3 thrice a week with 60 pounds, adding on weight when I can complete all 8 sets with good form. I plan to start one arm negatives once I can do a pullup with additional 100 pounds.

One arm pushup - my aim is a strict one arm pushup, I use Pavel's fighter pullup method 3 x per week on stairs, dropping down one level when I am able to do 10. Started at 6th step, currently at 3rd step.

L seat - currently at about 30 secs, aiming for 60 secs.

HSPU - I do HSPU's on a 3 inch stack of books, and looking forward so my nose touches the floor, so its about 6 inches deeper then a HeSPU. Currently at 2 reps. I'm aiming to be able to do 10 reps, and also to do them with a 8 x 3 program for size.

Pistols - I do these with a 20 pound plate, currently at 2 reps as well. Aims same as HSPU.

Now that the self advertising is over, I would like to seek advise for the HSPU and pistols. I used the GTG method for 2 months, doing 1-2 reps every hour, 10 sets a day, 6 days a week. Sadly, I stuck stubbornly to my one set per hour plan even when I was exhausted, which goes against the principle of GTG. Result, 2 months later, my reps have not gone up, while my triceps, shoulders and knees are exhausted.

I'm taking the rest of the week off to recover and plan for a new training program. These are the 2 I'm looking at now

1. Fighter program 3x a week, but the lowest level starts at 3,2,1,1 and I can only do 2, so how should I get to 3?

http://www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

2. Aiming for 25 reps 3 x per week. Take as many sets as possible to reach 25 reps, rest 90 - 120 secs inbetween sets. Gradually decrease sets and rest required to reach 25 reps.

I'm also planning to add the front lever and planche progression to my current program, but they are a lesser priority as I do not want to risk overstraining my elbows and shoulders. But if you feel they can be incorporated somehow, please let me know.

So, guys, which do you think would work better, 1 or 2? Or do you have a better program for getting more reps? Please let me know!

Thanks

Quick Start Test Smith

For what it's worth, your whole routine looks pretty solid to me. Number 1 looks good, too, but I'm not really the one to say.