Hello all, I read the book and it seems to outline exactly the sort of exercises that I need to incorporate into my athlete's dry-land synchronized swimming training. (The rank beginner's variations seem like a great challenge for us!)
A quick background: I am a professional synchronized swimming coach (with a bachelor's degree in kinesiology). My athletes are post pubescent girls and women who train between 15 and 30 hours a week. They have great aerobic/anaerobic capacity, decent flexibility (close, but not quite up to the level of competitive female gymnasts), and have acquired some proficiency with bodyweight exercises like V-ups, push-ups, jumping chin ups, yoga headstands etc but there are times when I would have to use the words "floppy" and "struggling" to describe their in-water technical elements instead of "extended" and "supported" - that is what I am hoping to change with some static positions and other complementary exercises.
However, after an initial trial session we have encountered some difficulties and I was wondering if anyone could orient me.
The biggest problem seems to be that their hand strength does not permit them to hang on to a bar for very long at all. Frequently they lost their grip before their arm or core muscles were fatigued. Are there ways to work around weak hands, or will progress be limited to the speed that their grip strengthens?
The second worry I have is about their shoulder flexibility - they have a much larger range of motion than normal and about half of the athletes have "soft" joints to begin with. For example a regular part of warm-ups is to do the "shoulder dislocation with a band" exercise starting with a 24 inch rope and working down to bare hands or as close as possible. Other than common sense and taking the necessary time to work through the progressions are there any screening tests I can do? My nightmare is to see someone damage their shoulder.
To provide you with a base line here is a link to some synchronized swimming technical elements, not a video of my athletes, but it's roughly in the ballpark.
Thanks so much for any guidance you can offer ![]()