Conditioning/routine question

Started by Bob Sanders, August 28, 2008 · 8 Replies · 3,624 Views

Bob Sanders

Coach, what conditionings do you have your athletes do? I do not mean strength conditioning. I mean like sprinting and intervals and circuit drills. Do you have to team to do that to shred of fat or is only body weight strength conditioning needed? My goal is to add more muscles so of course I need more advance body weight exercise. But my before goal was to shred my love handles off to get a six pack. Right now I have a 4-pack. I still have a few percent of fat I need to shred off. My diet is lean. I have never cheated. But I dread the workout sometimes. I don't know maybe it is the heat or maybe it is the fatigue but I hated it. But when I tried some of the gymnastics moves I liked it despite of the difficulty I was so anxious to get back up and try again. It has been almost a two years of working out and I guess even though I did change some things around my work out is still and always dull. By the way even though I asking Coach directly for advice all comments are welcomed. Thank you for helping! I appreciate it!

kbryk

I don't believe many Coach's have their students do interval training, the strength conditioning they do is more than enough to shred fat and build muscle. I don't diet, I am the guy that eats all, but cuts down on soda and a lot of that sugary stuff, but when it comes to carbs, protein and for the most part semi-fatty food I'm a glutton and still maintain a six pack, although it is only popping out when I am flexing or doing some other workout that is core related, you will never have a celebrity six pack unless you are on a very strict diet which is very hard and I believe will do more harm then good; unless you know what you are doing of course.

Main point is stick to working out, if you watch your diet it will soon appear, but I've been working out for little more than a year, with weights and body weight exercises on and off, and you won't notice gains in a few months, but if you stick with it, you will look one day and have a six pack from all those v-ups, l-sits, and all crazy core work gymnastics have taught you!

Blairbob

At the gym I was formerly at, the head coach was not too concerned with flabby gymnasts. It was, in his opinion, due mainly due to the horrible nutrionary choices of the gymnasts and their parents ( he is from Japan ).

His goal was to get these gymnasts into a proper diet, not as a temporary modality, but a permanent one. Especially, if he were to put such a gymnast on a track for collegiate or elite gymnastics.

Once their diet was in check, over time, given the hours of training and a good diet, the weight would be burnt off.

If their diet is not in check, you can do all the tabata, HIT, circuits, whatever to no great effect.

Having dealt with a lot of gymnasts, I eventually have relented to concur in this opinion.

Personally, I still like tabata conditioning sets, or intervals. It will pump up their body and it's good for "character building." It's also a highly efficient way to condition certain movements with kids versus other methods.

Typically, we have specific conditioning, but for our general conditioning...I just use intervals, tabata, or for time because of it's efficiency and the neccesity to be efficient in rotations due to a lack of time.

Bob Sanders

OK now I know that only strength conditioning is needed for a gymnast's physique. And I know good nutrition is a must. It is 70% of the work. But previously I worked with Ross Enamait's material for over 1 year now. And his conditioning drill is hard and I dread it. He is a boxer and so he needs multi strength qualities. Now I have been able to shred a significant amount of body fat but his bodyweight work Never Gymless is starting to get less challenging and the more challenging ones are too complicated. I mean for MAX strength and hypertrophy not conditioning. So now I want to throw away my old routine and start a new one from scratch with Gymnastics and I want to go compete someday.Every where is great but my stomach. I still need to do more shredding for a full six pack. Right now I have a 4 pack. Upper is great along with middle. The lower is just soft. My stomach gets flabbed up when I sit and my abs crunch. So I don't have a flat stomach but I do when I stand. I hope you get the picture.

So I want to get into gymnastics and it'll be great if there is not HIT everyday. Maybe once in a while for a challenge and varieties. But everyday is not for me. Again I don't need all the strength qualities of a boxer.

Anyways right now I am working on Handstands on the wall, frog stands, and the tucked lever. I am also working on the L-sit elevated with tucked legs. The other day I just did them all randomly with no set amount of set or rest. So I need some help constructing a plan for goals above. Thanks for the help you guys! I really appreciated! God bless you!

Blairbob

One of the reasons, male gymnasts tone down so much is the sheer fact they are training from 10-25 hours a week. However, only a fraction of that is rings training. At most 5 total hours, if that. Keep that in mind. Most coaches don't generally train for fat loss as that is a result of diet and of course the huge caloric expenditure.

George Launchbury
Titan said:
Anyways right now I am working on Handstands on the wall, frog stands, and the tucked lever. I am also working on the L-sit elevated with tucked legs. The other day I just did them all randomly with no set amount of set or rest. So I need some help constructing a plan for goals above.

If you have a delve about there are a number of threads covering workout routines at this level which you will find helpful. Sorry I don't have time to find out any links, but they are there - so it wouldn't be a blind or fruitless search!

George.

Bob Sanders

Ok I was thinking and thougt this.....

Can't I just train randomly for 30 min. to 1 hour and doing exercise for however long I can do stop and then do again. Like let's say I can do for stand for 50 seconds. then I rest and do that again but this time I can only hold for 15 seconds. so then I decided to do hand stand holds and hold that for 11 seconds so then I did frog stand again and this time I did 23 seconds so then next I did some tucked L-sit for 16 seconds. Is that a good routine?

What do you think?

Blairbob

You need to implement rest periods if you want build your strength. There has been some talk of this being between 90 and 180 seconds.

Using low rest periods is also common with a hypertrophy protocol BB sometimes use.

Bob Sanders

OK so how can I make these gymnastic routines into an intense workout for fat burning. kbryk, saids that the strength conditioning is gymnastics is intense enough to shred fat. How can I do that?