Progressing=Higher/Faster or +lbs.

Started by SDGWarr10r, August 22, 2011 · 2 Replies · 6,195 Views

SDGWarr10r

In the wod, obviously the way to measure progress and scale exercises like box or depth jumps, or senders would be lower or raise the height.

When it comes to exercises that use a jump/sprint with weight (ex-killers and 20m backward sled sprint), do I want to add weight or increase height/run faster?

Would it depend if the day's workout was focused on power or strength, or the answer is the same for both?

Philip Chubb

Well which one gets you toward your goals? If you add so much weight that the movement becomes grinding then that is more maximal strength work. That could be okay if it is what you want to achieve but if you're looking for more power than the speed of the movement and its transfer to your goal movement might be more important.

SDGWarr10r

My personal opinion would be to add weight to those exercises, as other, non-weighted exercises are used to increase power, and because for a long time, improving strength will also improve power, especially in conjunction with the other explosive exercises.

My question though is in terms of the WOD program, what is the goal of those exercises. As I said, I know what I would do, I'm just curios what the WOD system would say to do.