A Confused Beginner

Started by Reversed, August 21, 2011 · 9 Replies · 2,979 Views

Reversed

Hi all.

I'm interested to get started on bodyweight training. I've had some training with weights before this and enjoy barbell work but find myself unable to make my way to the gym on a regular basis to ever make considerable progress. So the best solution for me would be training at home. Have a doorway pullup bar and a set of rings, and a fitness corner nearby my home if I require the use of parallel bars. I do have a set of dumbbells at home but simply do not enjoy the use of the implement (although the plates may come in handy for weighted movements)

With that aside, I have my copy of BtGB. The wealth of information is daunting and I'm unsure where to begin and what to be working on. I am able to perform a considerable number of pullups and some dips but that is as far as my strength will take me. I'd be glad if someone could point me out in the right direction to get me started. Sorry if this is too much to ask :?

Blairbob

do the wod or set up yourself a SSC for the FSP and FBE's after you test and find out what you can do.

basically the basic FSP as listed in the book as well as the L sit or further in that family. Do some HS work against the wall or just do the HS WOD from the GB WOD from time to time.

Quick Start Test Smith

I know this is vague, but it will do you more good than what I can write to you right now otherwise. Go to the Getting Started and Basic Strength sections and read the stickies! You will probably have questions afterwards, but a lot of your questions will definitely have been answered.

Reversed

Am I right to say that I should get my FSPs down to a decent level first alongside the beginner's warm up from Slizzardman?

Thanks for the responses. :) Pretty sure I will have more questions as I go on.

swarovski

have a look at my post here

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6371&p=56698#p56698

Reversed

Thanks swarovski! Definitely something I can refer to in addition to stickies. Would weighted chins/dips be a viable choice to alternate with harder progressions?

And would it be fine to work on FSPs 4x a week while FBEs remain 2x for 8-12 weeks?

swarovski

Personally I don't enjoy weighted exercises, but if that's what you like doing it will be better than going for high reps in regards of strenght training. I think bodyweight variations of the same exercise is what BtGB is all about. Gymnast's strength training not a power lifter's one.

Depending on your background and training volume, but for a beginner I'd advise to start slowly with 2x a week program, 2-3 fsp and 2-3 fbe for every workout. You can alternate workouts, for the sake of variety. FSP 4x a week will probably fry your elbows in a matter of weeks.

Reversed

Noted with regards to the weighted exercises.

So basically for FSPs,

60 sec plank

60 sec reverse plank

60 sec arch hold

60 sec hollow hold

60 sec support hold

60 sec dead hang

60 sec handstand

60 sec inverted hang

60 sec L-sit tuck

This would be what I should be focusing on for statics right now correct? So I assume that once I (if ever :lol: ) manage to achieve all, then this would be regarded as my warmup and after which I will appropriately work on BLs, FLs etc.?

Thanks for the huge help swarovski.

swarovski

you're welcome.

everybody has his own strengths and weaknesses, having said that, you won't progress at the same rate on each prerequisite. I still can't hold 60s wall handstand even if I can do full back lever (very short though).

as you can see L-sit is the only real FSP in that list as it has to be your very starting point and focus within FSP. Don't underestimate FBE.

I'd split that list in half and alternate. See how it goes for a couple of weeks, your body will answer many of your questions.

Basically a warm up in strength training is an easier 1-2 sets of the exercise you're going to work on, just like you said the top 7 on that list are a comprehensive warmup once strong enough to work on more advanced progressions.

good luck.

Reversed

Thanks a million! Certainly cleared up a fair bit.

I best get started now :D