Planche Training Idea

Started by CalisthenicGod, August 20, 2011 · 6 Replies · 4,083 Views

CalisthenicGod

Alright I'm not completely certain that this hasn't been thought of/posted before, but here's an idea:

Right now I'm on Adv Frog Stand and am holding it for about 4x15 seconds but with arms -almost- straight, but still not straight (could be a lack of pressing strength). However, I can hold a Tuck Planche for about 20 seconds max on a set of push-up bars, but not on the floor.

What do you gents think about working on the Tuck Planche on Push-ups bars/Parallettes until I reach a 60 second max hold AND THEN work on the floor Tuck Planche (should have enough strength for a floor Tuck Planche by then). It's akin to working the L-Sit on parallel bars before moving onto the floor. The same thing would be done for Adv.Tuck, Straddle, 1/2 Lay, Full Lay.

Would this be a good idea? I'm not sure if it's wise to skip Adv.Frog Stands and jump straight to a PB Tuck Planche but who knows, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thoughts?

Joshua Naterman

You CAN, but you need to work adv frog at the same time. Otherwise you won't get your floor planche.

Aaron Griffin
CalisthenicGod said:
Right now I'm on Adv Frog Stand and am holding it for about 4x15 seconds but with arms -almost- straight, but still not straight (could be a lack of pressing strength).

How are you working on this? I'm currently doing 3x20s and trying to lock my arms out during that time. I can really only get 80-90% of the way before I lose balance

Joshua Naterman

It's probably weak hands and wrists, honestly. I keep telling everyone to just do thick grip farmer walks on a nearly daily basis and I'm willing to bet no one does. It's the fastest way to get your whole hand strong. Just make sure you are only using the fingers and thumb to hold most of the grip, don't flex your wrist to the point where your hand is holding everything and your thumb isn't doing anything. That lets you carry much more but is meaningless.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

I have found that practicing a one arm elbow lever on a parallette has strengthened my hand and wrist a lot. I had not really noticed it until I did some free HS recently and was surprised how much easier I could control my balance with my wrist.

Joshua Naterman

Nice, that's interesting! Not to mention, that's really awesome Frits!

Richard Duelley

I agree with Sliz.

I heart thick grip dead lifts. :mrgreen: