Hi,
I started using the book about 10 weeks ago and have completed my first 8 week training cycle. The first routine looked like this:
Tuck Planche (Curved Back): Max at start of cycle: 14s -> 9 sets of 7s; Max at end of cycle: >15s
Straddle L (One Hand Center, Floor): Max at start of cycle: 12s -> 10 sets of 6s; Max at end of cycle: >15s
Manna (MSH Low PB): Max at start of cycle: 9s -> 12 sets of 5s; Max at end of cycle: >15s
Front Lever (Tuck, Flat Back): Max at start of cycle: 15s -> 8 sets of 8s; Max at end of cycle: >15s
Back Lever (Tuck, Flat Back): Max at start of cycle: 15s -> 8 sets of 8s; Max at end of cycle: >15s
Am I overtraining? I aim to do the strength training every other day, alternating with PNF stretching, with a day of rest per week (I also take adult gymnastics classes whenever possible). Usually I do the SSC routine 2-3 times a week.
I only got my rings about 5 weeks into the cycle. I was able to do a front lever before on a ledge, but not a back lever (couldn't grip around it enogh). So I only did back levers for the last three weeks of the cycle. Here's the weird thing, though: My front lever basically didn't progress at all, whereas my back lever jumped from flat back tuck to a half lever. I was pretty happy about that, but disappointed about the lack of progress on the front lever. I was able to move onto the next step for the other three moves. Here's my current routine:
Tuck Planche (Straight Back): Max at start of cycle: 9s -> 12 sets of 5s
Straddle L (PB Low): Max at start of cycle: 15s -> 7 sets of 8s
Manna (MSH Floor): Max at start of cycle: 12s -> 10 sets of 6s
Front Lever (Tuck, Flat Back): Max at start of cycle: >15s (but can't hold next step) -> 7 sets of 8s
Back Lever (Half Lever): Max at start of cycle: 13s -> 8 sets of 7s
In the case of hold times that would neatly add up to 60s I started to decrease the number of reps to a total below 60s instead of above because I felt like I was only breaking down muscle tissue with no further gain (overtraining).
I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know what you think or perhaps have any ideas why I'm not making progress on the front lever... Thanks a lot!