Hi there my name is Jack and my goals are:
1. Reduce my weight to 72kgs while maintaining a high level of strength.
2. Increasing active, static and dynamic flexibility.
3. Become generally more mobile and gain greater proficiency at moving my body weight around.
OK! So here is the background information:
I'm 20 years old living in England while at University in Ireland, where I play football (soccer) and box.
I am 5ft 8" and weigh 12 stone-77.9kgs – 171.7lbs. Body fat %-10.9 and BMI- 26.3
Here is a basic outline of what my aims are and where I am at the moment and below it is a more detailed history and story of what is going on, feel free to read what you want I realise this post is long. Any help, constructive advice and pointers are greatly appreciated.
I am heavy set athlete due to a quite a bit of weight training and I am looking to reduce my weight in a way that will retain as much strength as possible. I find it very easy to increase muscle however I want to avoid hypertrophy as much as possible. Gymnastics seems the obvious choice; the strength to weight ration of male gymnasts is jaw dropping. I want to do this for the sports I am involved with while also improving my gymnastics skills. At the moment I can do 8-10 HSPU’s (supported), hold a decent l-sit for about 15 secs at a time, do a couple of dragon flags. I can do about 10 pull ups (needing a long rest before doing another set) I can dip my body weight plus 20kg/45lbs for 5 reps (4-5 sets). One rep max: Bench press- 95kg/ 211lbs, Squat-145kg/ 321lbs, Deadlift – 140kg/ 307lbs.
I feel that I am too heavy and that if I reduce my weight so that I am comfortable being around 70kg/155lbs this will help to improve my football and also keep me strong for boxing and rugby as well as making it easier to progress with more difficult gymnastics skills.
I f anyone could point me in the right direction about the best way to basically reshape and start again with my body that would be great.
Here is some more detailed info if needed:
I have played sports since very young, starting off with football then moving onto rugby. At 17 got into doing weights and read up and learnt about lifting effectively so packed on decent amount of muscle to all areas- did go through the just benching phase for a little while, but didn’t we all. From the age of 8-11 I did gymnastics once a week which I enjoyed and obtained various basic level certificates. Included bodyweight and gymnastic exercises into my workouts-handstand holds/ HS press ups. V-ups, dragon flags etc. Also bought some paralettes and have practiced l-sits, tuck planche, and handstands on and off for 2 years never really making much progress. I can run the 100m in 11.9 secs. I am hoping to improve my general speed, acceleration and mobility by reducing my weight.
Injuries:
About 2 and a half years ago developed a wrist problem. When performing handstands I get a pain at the edge of the wrist just below the thumb. Sometimes it is not very severe and it always goes away quickly after stopping handstand. Have seen the doctor a few times about it but they just say R.I.C.E. etc it will go away. Still an issue.
Left shoulder problem from rugby about 2 years ago. Sleeping on left side hurt and it was weak-would give in and tire quickly when doing weights. Saw a physio regularly for a while for deep massage (i.e. pain). Not much trouble any more after doing general stabiliser strengthening exercises.
Training at the moment:
Uni starts on the 8th of Sep so I will be returning to my full training then. For the holidays I have been doing some sprint work on and off, going to the gym fairly regularly (3 times a week) where I was focusing on explosive and heavy major lifts (Squats, Clean and Press, Snatches, Deadlifts and Bench Press).
At Uni my training is: Mon/Wed/Fri- Boxing, Tue/Thurs- Football, Sat- Football matches.
I normally lift weights 2 times a week, and when I get up or before I go to bed I sometimes practice handstands/ l-sits/ tuck planches if I’m not too tired.
I realise that I might need to cut back in some areas of my training in order to give myself significant rest and develop these gymnastics moves. I am willing to do this.
Hopefully if I can get some good feedback and with some help I can devise an appropriate workout plan.
Thanks for reading all of this!!!