Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite beer?

Joshua Naterman

Larry Roseman

Actually had one (1) Bud Lime a week ago at a BBQ.

Also a few other brands I tried but I liked the bud the best.

A few beers every once in a while is not going to destroy muscles

or kill anyone (provided not driving).

Joshua Naterman
:o You are an exception, you know it ... :wink:

HAHAHA, yes... yes I am, in many ways.

Rafael David
A few beers every once in a while is not going to destroy muscles

or kill anyone (provided not driving).

Everybody (99.9999%) I know who drink do not remember (or do not care) with that detail. Funny? No, here in Brazil (not sure in other countries, but should be similar) the statistics show that alcohol kills far more than all other illegal drugs combined (in number of accidents resulting from the use). Here we created the "Prohibition" that limits the consumption of two cans of beer for anyone driving, anyone who drinks do not respect this limit. Every holiday here about 500 people die (not to mention the everyday), including these irresponsible and innocent people. Selfish and ignorant who do not know the value of life itself and even endanger the lives of others. Dude, in fact a few beers can kill.

Nicholas Sortino

No one is arguing that drinking and driving kills. That is everywhere. In the states it is a very serious offense and you risk jail time and the loss of thousands of dollars for a single offense.

But me enjoying a nice cold beer or hot sake on a friday night to wind down from a very stressful week is not dangerous. Sure I may drink more than 1 drink, but I rarely drink more than 4, and it is only rarely that I do so. So health wise, I do not think I am hurting myself at all.

Drinking in and of itself is not dangerous or even unhealthy. Drinking irresponsibly can be, and often is, both. It is all about doing things intelligently.

While drinking those few drinks has indeed been shown to have positives like mentioned above, no one ever mentions that negatives exist with those small amounts as well. Such as decreased soft tissue regeneration and possible decreased recovery from worksouts (stress is stress). On strength and physique I think that alcohol just isn't all that important a piece of puzzle as other things are.

When I use to consume a drink occasionally I prefered Samual Adams, Blue Moon, and Stella Artoise as well as Golden Birsh brews.

Rafael David
No one is arguing that drinking and driving kills.

No? I am!

In the states it is a very serious offense and you risk jail time and the loss of thousands of dollars for a single offense.

So is similar here.

But me enjoying a nice cold beer or hot sake on a friday night to wind down from a very stressful week is not dangerous. Sure I may drink more than 1 drink, but I rarely drink more than 4, and it is only rarely that I do so. So health wise, I do not think I am hurting myself at all.

Sure, if you not driving.

Drinking in and of itself is not dangerous or even unhealthy. Drinking irresponsibly can be, and often is, both. It is all about doing things intelligently.

Good for you, consider included in the minority who are drinking moderately.

Nicholas Sortino

I think you misunderstood my first comment. I meant that no one would argue that drinking and driving does not kill people. It does. And everyone knows this. Some people are just stupid and think they are some sort of exception. But because a minority are stupid, does not mean the majority are wrong. Most people (adults) I know drink responsibly. Of course I know people who don't, but mentally, most of them are hardly adults anyways.

Alessandro Mainente
mmmm i don't like beer... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Alex,

for an Italian like yourself, favorite grappa? :lol:

ahahaha seems to be absurd but i don't like any type of beer or drink with superachol like grappa, vodka, rum, wine etc

Joshua Naterman

Not if it's only 1-2 beers. More than anything it affects the body's ability to use body fat for energy, but it takes a good bit to mess that up for more than a few hours.

Quick Start Test Smith

Mikael makes a point that a large percentage of drinkers are alcoholics. It's so easy to develop an addiction (I have personal experience with addictions and the effects of alcoholism - not me, but parent). In my opinion, drinking shouldn't be banned entirely, but anyone who wants to drink needs to be very, very careful that they maintain control. Alcoholism ruins thousands of families every year, and it semi/almost ruined mine.

So, I think it's fine to drink but for most people it presents a significant risk as well. A risk not worth taking for the people who have family history in addictions or people who have personal weaknesses towards addictions... just be careful

Edward Smith

A rarely mentioned aspect of drinking is the stress/social aspect. A drink and on a friday night can do wonders for people, helping them unwind and enjoy some social contact.

Joshua Naterman

Indeed! Alcohol can be a superb social lubricant, so long as it doesn't lubricate your social to the point where you start socializing your fist with peoples' faces!

Philip Chubb

Slizzardman, is there a personal experience behind that word of caution you just gave? LOL.

My first (and last) drinks were in Germany. I liked a few of what was handed to me though I don't remember what most of them were called.

Joshua Naterman

Oh yea, I've seen plenty of sailors and marines start trouble hahaha! I never did, that's just not how I operate drunk or sober or anywhere in-between.

• 2 weeks later...
Guinness, no doubt. And it's a lot better in Ireland than anywhere else for some reason.
Theres a lot better stouts in Ireland too, guinness is not really rated highly by serious stout drinkers in Ireland, I find it has gone weaker tasting and more watery over the years. More and more small craft brewers are cropping up. I have lived in Dublin all my life, a few weeks ago I was in the Guinness brewery being paid to drink beer for market research, tough job! Have been it in a good few times now.

My favourite Irish stout at the moment is from the Trouble Brewing company, called Dark Arts. Another would be O'Haras stout which is in more and more Irish pubs now. Guinness is in most pubs here, but I would drink Beamish before it if available. If you are in county Cork I would recommend Murphys stout. There is a chain of pubs called the Porter House http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/beers.html#

My favourite of them is Wrasslers XXXX stout, they have up to 4 of their own house brewed stouts available sometimes, usually 3 on the go.

The late Michael Jacksons comments on Wrasslers, (the beer expert, not the singer)

Michael's Tasting Notes

Dry Stout may be a minor category, but it embraces some famous names, not the least of which is Guinness. How many brewers would go head to head with such a renowned beer? If you remember the Guinness of a generation ago - bigger, rounder, oilier - you will love Wrasslers, as it has more of everything: body, especially, but also toasty barley flavours, malty sweetness , hoppy bitterness, and an earthy yeast character.

http://rarebeerclub.beveragebistro.com/rbc_v04n04.html

I like my beer a lot like my coffee, black and strong. Even extra stout Guinness tastes like watered down budweiser to me. Being a beer coneseuer I generally like getting the darkest thickest beer that is on the menu, or at the bar, but i prefer it if i have never tried it before. But! to this day, and i tried it fro teh first time 2 years ago, The beer that i will always recommend is Arrogant Bastard Ale. It comes in a 32 oz bottle. the first taste kicks you in the face and the after taste is just as shocking. On top of that, the bottle is hysterical. They go into a lot of detail about their beer and just blatlntly make fun of everything. It is not for the lite beer drinker, but i would definitely recommend trying it if you like a good dark beer.

Hello

Just a comment from "the peanut gallery". Years ago from some of my Russian friends i heard stories about what their athletes could drink and still be athletes (and often world record holders). I was under the impression that vodka(being clear and "filtered") was less damaging to health and less prone to put on weight(fat) . They did tell me that the government(USSR) realized that people wou;ld drink so they put "adaptogens" in it and made it more "pure" that what is being offered over here. Maybe it was the PED"s and adaptogen programs combined with genetics that allowed them to live like this.

Brandon

I like my beer a lot like my coffee, black and strong. Even extra stout Guinness tastes like watered down budweiser to me.
The draught guinness you get is actually watered down, as are many commercial beers. They make them to a higher % and dilute down after it is brewed, it is more economical to have a large vat of high % brewing, rather than process 2 separate ones.

I have read that guinness foreign extra is undiluted, brewed to 7.5%, and I heard that this same beer is diluted to 4.2% and used for guinness draught, they use nitrogen gas to give it the creamy head.

Guinness special export stout is rarer, I have never had it, it is 8%, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/10848

If you want a strong stout I would recommend O'Haras Leann Follain, which is 6% however most (all?) craft beer stouts will not have "nitrogen widgets" in them to give the creamy head, which many people like.

http://www.carlowbrewing.com/beer_detail.php?Pid=19

I was under the impression that vodka(being clear and "filtered") was less damaging to health and less prone to put on weight(fat)
As it is purely alcohol you have no additional proteins or carbs in it, so it is the lowest calories per gram/ml of alcohol you can get. As for health, many heavy drinkers would be told to switch to beer by doctors as they can easily down too much whiskey and the high concentrations hit your stomach worse (ulcers etc). But if you are having small amounts, properly diluted to beer strength then it would be OK. I have read of some nutritional benefits of beer though, vodka would have no nutritional values in it.

My favorite beer tends to be any after a hard day's work or a grueling metabolic workout. Yeah, basically if I go to some CF competition or competing in a meet. I don't find the need after a ME barbell squat or DL or rings days.

I'm pretty much for any as I tend to get bored of what kind or style of beer within 1-2 beers.

Beer also is a pretty good way to get silicon and other trace minerals.

I've heard gin like vodka can be easier to recover from due to it's purity from being filtered so much. In all truth, higher quality alcohol always seems to be easier to recover and less likely to puke up than the cheap stuff.

Oh yea, I've seen plenty of sailors and marines start trouble hahaha! I never did, that's just not how I operate drunk or sober or anywhere in-between.

******** Funny. I was stationed in San Diego in the 80's and a couple of my shipmates went over to Coronado Island to mess with the BUD's people. Came back with bit ears and broken glass in the face. Always pays to err on side of caution.

Brandon Green

I like Union Beer (slovenian) and like tasting other beers when I'm abroad.

I absolutly don't like Heineken it's like drinking water or Goesser and even Becks wich doesn't taste good for me.

Joshua Naterman
Bottle served into a badass looking Guinness goblet (which I intend to steal *ahem* borrow in the future) in a bar in Ghent, Belgium. Reviewed from notes. On 15 June, 2011, I did a literal side by side analysis of Foreign Extra with Special export, and served into a Guinness pint glass.

A: 2.5 finger head [into a Guinness goblet; 5 finger head into a Guinness pint glass] of lovely tan colour, brilliant cream, and excellent thickness. Black colour, though probably technically an extremely dark ruby like other Guinness offerings. Nothing short of absolutely brilliant. Amazing retention, especially for the ABV. Side by side, this retains for a bit longer than the Foreign Extra, despite being higher ABV. Very impressive all around.

Sm: Light hops, caramel, and chocolate. Not as complex as the Foreign Extra stout but more subtle, a very respectable tradeoff. The smell of the foreign extra is just a hair better. There's more coffee in the Foreign Extra.

T: Chocolate, caramel. The coffee of Irish Guinness is missing. Some smokey rauchbier baconey notes are also prominent. Very dark roasted barley forms an amazing fouindation. Trust me lads; I've had me fair share of Guinness, and this is way different - even from the foreign extra variant. Brilliant complexity and subtlety. Some warm alcohol is present. One of the best built beers I've ever had the delight of tasting. Balanced incredibly well. There are many fringe notes that are subtle but contributory; I wish I possessed the expertise to adequately describe them. Better than the Foreign Extra by as much as it can be at this high a level of quality; the three people I'm side-by-side-ing with agree with me. Less caramel than the foreign extra.

Mf: Very smooth, but perfectly dry. Brilliant. No stout I've ever had, except perhaps Mikkeller, has done a stout mouthfeel this well. How do you make a beer that's simultaneously dry and refreshing? Bravo, lads. Nothing short of incredible. Perfectly complements the flavours of the body.

Dr: I had this the same day I went to the Westvleteren brewery, and let me tell you: it's still fecking brilliant by comparison, lads. The best Guinness I've ever had, and I live in Ireland. Why we don't have this back home is beyond me. If you told me I could have one beer only for the rest o' me life, I assure you, this would be it.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 06-03-2011 17:03:12 | id: 1505658

That's from the beer advocate website, but my GOD what a review! I must find one. This is my mission.