Newb here, could someone please provide some routine advice?

Started by selfstrength, August 11, 2011 · 2 Replies · 1,940 Views

selfstrength

Hello, I am just starting out and could really use some advice on my routine.

I am 16 and beginning with a very low level of strength, and am actively trying to get stronger. I have spent the last few weeks refining and tweaking my diet, so I know I am doing well there, but I am unsure if my workout is well-rounded enough or as good as it could be.

A- Upper Body

Pull-ups (right now I am doing assisted 1arm pullups, 4x3)

Push-Ups (currently doing lever pushups, 4x5)

Front Levers (Adv. Tuck, 30s max)

Back Levers (Adv. Tuck, 20s max)

HandStands (I can only hold it for about 60s)

B- Core/Lower Body

Pistol Squats (right now at 4x5)

Hanging V-Raises ( I can only do about 4x3 before my form starts to suffer)

L-Sits ( My max is about 30s on parallets)

L-Straddles (I can go roughly 45s, again on parallets)

Also, HIIT

I alternate between the two and have a rest day every fith day(ABABx). I also often superset with slightly easier exercises to get that last shred of effort from my muscles, and keep everything in sets of 3-5x3-5.

Is my workout well-rounded enough to hit every major area? Do any of you think I should replace any of the above? I want to avoid adding any extraneous exercises, as I want to keep this as simple as possible and the only time I have to work out is before bed as well, so I want to avoid it taking more than an hour to perform. Any advice or criticism would be massively appreciated.

Aaron Griffin

You won't be a gymnast with that, but it's not too shabby of a workout, all things considered.

You may want to consider matching planes with push/push work (Pushups and Rows / Pullups and HSPU).

I'd also recommend you add Dips somewhere.

To compare: my routine is a cycle of 4 workouts, each with 4 exercises (and 4 statics)

Uzeeh
eginning with a very low level of strength, and am actively trying to get stronger

Your strength is nowhere near low if you're doing 30 second L-sit, 45 second straddle L and such :D

I rather like your routine. I don't know if ABABx is the best split, though. Have you tried AbxABxx?