So, I was a fatty most of my adult life and my parents never emphasized fitness growing up - I'm really ignorant about fitness matters. Did maybe 1 (assisted) Pull Up in my life 15 years ago just to satisfy the gym teacher PE requirements. I got tired of it went on a diet last May starting from 375lb (170kg) down to 325lb (147.5kg), hoping to get to 70-80kg (154lb to 176lb) to sometime latter half of next year. I started on an exercise bike, grew bored of it, and ditched it for a book/program called "You Are Your Own Gym" (YAYOG) by Special Ops Trainer Mark Lauren. It's entirely based on bodyweight exercises and basically no equipment (beyond, say a filled backpack).
The reason I bring that up is I found this site through youtube and many of the same excercises in that book are in gymnastics, like the iron cross or seated dips (korean dips) but taken to next level. For instance, my book has the iron crosses are on the ground and not in the air, and the seated dips have feet in front on the ground so the gymnastic version seem to be very much kindred spirits and the next step up.
The book has 4 programs with minimum requirements for starting them:
Basic Class - None
1st Class:
10 Push Ups with 2s pause top and bottom
10 Let Me Ups with legs straight, feet on ground
15 Back Lunges with 3s pause at bottom of movement
Hold a static Push Up position for 1 minute.
Master Class:
16 One Arm Push Ups with hands elevated on mid-thigh surface, 8 reps on each side
5 Pull Ups with 2s pause top and bottom
24 Alternating One Legged Squats, butt down just below knees
Hold a static Push Up position for 3 minutes.
Chief Class:
16 One Arm Push Ups, 8 each side
12 Pull Ups with 1 second pause top and bottom
24 Alternating Pistols, 12 each side
Hold a static Push Up position for 5 minutes.
It's expected to be able to do handstand push ups by the end of the end, 1-legged squats, flags, planches, etc
Now, I'm at modified beginner which is below even beginner (take beginner, modify push ups to elevated push ups, etc). :oops: And hope to work my way up. Having read the requirements on the program here, I know I'm not even close :oops: :oops: :oops: but.... is my current program a good lead in eventually to starting Gymnastic Bodies? At what level do you think YAYOG will equate to the beginner's program here roughly?
Also, besides the rings, is this a minimal equipment course? Or will I have to join a gym?
I would really like to have a long-term goal to work towards, and I saw this site, and it looks totally like the next level of the book I was doing, and even if it takes 18-24 months to get there, I'd just like to know if you guys concurred with that.