Hi,
I have read BtGB and am familiar with the FSP progressions that are explained in the book and how the book says to train them. I have also seen some videos online from Slizzardman and read some stuff on this forum that confuses me a little bit about some of the "prerequisites" for beginning some of the fundamental moves.
For example - in the book, it says that the basic progression for the back lever is a german hang (palms down). It also says to work static holds for 60 seconds aggragate work each training session, and to take your max hold and divide by two to get your working "sets". It very clearly says that once you progress through several steady states and are able to hold a position for 15 seconds, its time to move on to the next progression assuming you can hold it for at least a few seconds.
I have read that in the seminars, Coach Sommer says that 3x30 second german hang is a prerequisite before working on the other progressions for the back lever (like full tuck?) Obviously, this is a huge amount more volume than a simple 15 second hold, which is what the book says.
So...which is it?
I have a similar confusion with the basic planche progressions - Slizzardman says you should be holding a straight arm frog stand for at least 30 seconds before doing more advanced progressions to increase bicep tendon strength. Again, this is more than the 15 second rule BtGB puts forth.
Are these two examples special exceptions to the general 15 second rule in BtGB? If so, why is this not included in the book? What if I had just read the book without looking at this forum or Slizz's videos and hurt myself because progressing after a 15 second hold was too quick?