This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110801

Started by Coach Sommer, August 1, 2011 · 16 Replies · 2,959 Views

Coach Sommer

IAGMcEoDbg0

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Yewkis

1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo PL Dips

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Under-grip HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier MPPu/MPPr variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) NOTE: When scaling always adjust the difficulty of the FBE so that you will be able to maintain the correct tempo, sets and reps as designated in that day’s GB WOD.

3) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 412 for the basic strength sets. As such, for the Yewkis the breakdown of the tempo will be a 4 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a controlled 2 second descent.

6) Add weight as necessary to the any of the exercises to make them very challenging for the five repetitions.

7) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Keegan Yentsch

Loving these WOD's. :)

Reece Nugent

Woohoo! First time doing the wod in a gymnastics gym. Finally was able to do Yewkis properly!

WU:

Tumbling for an hour

shoulder routine

3 warmup sets of wod 5sec holds and 2-4 reps each.

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL adv tuck + 5 Tempo Yewkis adv tuck

1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo PL Dips

1 Embedded FL adv tuck + 5 Tempo half Under-grip HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks -

Almost down to the floor! iv got another 10cm to go, some reps my head touched the floor. Found it pretty much impossible to put my hands on the floor though

Weighted pike stretch 3X30 secs

Josh Schmitter

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req Warmup

WOD:Rest as Rx'd

Subs

-15s German Hang(12s Full, 3 foot assist)/5 Tempo Chins(4 pallet band assist)

-15s Lsit PB Low/5 Tempo Floor Push ups

-15s Lsit Hang Tuck/5 Tempo HLL half-tuck

10 Bridge wall walks

end.

* I am still working on the best way to incorporate both planes of motion when scaling down from MPP. I have several ideas, but not sure which, if any, are the way to go.

1)For example with the yewkis/PL dips: Switching exercises(i.e. pulls/rows, push ups/dips respectively) each time these MPP came up in WOD's be worthwhile(i.e. would it be enough frequency per plane)...

2)Adding to each WOD whenever MPP arise(i.e. adding 2 more giant sets so all planes are represented). This seems like the better option to me, but I am still unsure how to add them.

-Adding them into the warmup sets...

-Adding more giant giant sets per plane(Though I feel this might be too much extra).

-Adding intra giant sets already posted, As doing 1 of each plane back to back: PL Dips=1 tempo Push up, 1 Tempo Dip, x Rx'd reps. Yewkis=1 Pull up, 1 Row, x Rx'd Reps(Have tried this a few times and I burn out quite fast, so would need to scale back even more than usual).

Thanks for any help...I am working on getting to a seminar hopefully next year where I know all this could be answered and more, but alas, until then...

Philip Chubb

15s Embedded Straddle BL + 5 Full Yewkis

15s Embedded One Arm Assisted L-sit + 5 Straddle Planche Pushups

15s Embedded One Arm Assisted Tuck Front Lever + 5 One Arm HLL

10 Bridge Wall Walks

Thanks Coach.

Squatchy

WU: MU practice and a couple sets of pullups/rows and divebomber pushups

almost half lay BL, to back pull + 5 tempo yewkis (adv flat tuck)

heels on floor MU to L-sit + 5 tempo ring dips to push up as close as I could get to a tuck pl (which wasn't very great :) )

front pull to FL on the way back down (adv flat tuck) + 5 tempo HLL (mostly half)

can't do undergrip because I cant rotate my left forearm outward due to a bad break when I was young, making a chinup type grip impossible

finished with 10 bww (head to floor)

good workout :D

Micah Ellinger

Could someone direct me to where PL dips are described? I haven't heard of them.

Are they simply dips where the aim is to keep the shoulders as far in front of the hands as possible?

Rafael David

3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL (half lay) + 5 Tempo Yewkis (half lay up and full lay down)

1 Embedded L-sit (advanced) + 5 Tempo PL Dips (tuck planche)

1 Embedded FL (half lay) + 5 Tempo Under-grip HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Very nice workout, thanks Coach! 8)

Rafael David
micahclimber said:
Could someone direct me to where PL dips are described? I haven't heard of them.

Are they simply dips where the aim is to keep the shoulders as far in front of the hands as possible?

In the top of the dip you should perform a planche of your level and hold for 1 second.

Wheelson

3 rounds:

lower to BL from inverted hand adv tuck + 5 Tempo Yewkis adv tuck

xr L-sit + 5 Tempo hespu + 5 psuedo planche pushups

FL pull to flat tuck fl + 5 Tempo Under-grip HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Thanks coach!

Coach Sommer
micahclimber said:
... Could someone direct me to where PL dips are described? I haven't heard of them ...

PL Dips are covered in detail in BtGB, pg. 87-88.

Mikael said:
... In the top of the dip you should perform a planche of your level and hold for 1 second ...

This is only partially correct. Please see the reference above for correct performance guidelines.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matthew Mossop

When it sets 3 sets of each should you do 3 sets of one exercise straight through or cycle through the exercises?

Also what might I substitute for PL dips? The first progression is Chest Roll HeS, but I can't do a handstand yet.

Rafael David
mattk said:
When it sets 3 sets of each should you do 3 sets of one exercise straight through or cycle through the exercises?

Cycle through the exercises.

mattk said:
Also what might I substitute for PL dips? The first progression is Chest Roll HeS, but I can't do a handstand yet.

You can't do PL dips? I can't do chest roll HeS too, but I can do PL dips... it's weird... :?

Josh Schmitter
mattk said:
When it sets 3 sets of each should you do 3 sets of one exercise straight through or cycle through the exercises?

Also what might I substitute for PL dips? The first progression is Chest Roll HeS, but I can't do a handstand yet.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4828&start=15

Second page of this WOD discusses different ways to break up the sets and why...Slizz to the rescue as per usual :) As far as I know, if you want to follow it as Coach writes it/wants it done, it is 3 sets of each exercise before moving to the next, but depending on what your focus is you might want to do as Mikael said as well.

Referring to PL dip subs:

Coach Sommer said:
killroy70 said:
PB dip (legs tucked) --> at top of movement lean into a tuck planche --> then lowered in what I hope looked like a PL dip negative.

Very good substitution.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

-Also you can do 2 single plane FBEs such as a regular dipping variation along with a horizontal push exercise. I have yet to figure out exactly how to break it down(i.e. add another giant set with push ups, try to do 1 of each back to back, etc...). AFAIK the important thing is that both planes are represented.

...and Chest Roll to HeS

Coach Sommer said:
If the chest roll to PL is too difficult, I recommend beginning the roll with the body lying on a raised surface of 4-6" in height. This elevation of the torso while the hands remain on the ground will reduce the necessary ROM of this strength element Possible choices for the raised surface include a panel mat or those aerobic step platforms used in aerobic classes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Matthew Mossop
Mikael said:

You can't do PL dips? I can't do chest roll HeS too, but I can do PL dips... it's weird... :?

Lol no... can't come anywhere close to doing PL dips.

TANSTAAFL said:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... 8&start=15

Second page of this WOD discusses different ways to break up the sets and why...Slizz to the rescue as per usual :) As far as I know, if you want to follow it as Coach writes it/wants it done, it is 3 sets of each exercise before moving to the next, but depending on what your focus is you might want to do as Mikael said as well.

Great thanks for all the info :).

John Sapinoso

zA59w3ZkFG4

LIE

Wu

Some mobility n rehab

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded straddle BL + 5 Tempo Yewkis straddle

1 Embedded L-sit + 5 Tempo PL Dips tuck

1 Embedded adv tuck FL + 5 Tempo HLL,forget to hold under grip

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks