This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101011

Started by Coach Sommer, October 11, 2010 · 19 Replies · 3,113 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC per arm

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Elevated HeSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Chin/HeSPU variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 232 for these basic strength sets. In the case of the Assisted OAC this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 3 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

5) For the OAC work first perform your FSP static hold and then perform 3 reps on each arm. This constitutes one set.

6) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

7) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Joshua Naterman

Upping the stakes a little, we are! :P

I'll just be doing pull up variations, this should be fun! I haven't done elevated HeSPU in quite a while.

Alvaro

yep! maybe L pull up for me. (all ready difficult)

Eddie Stelling

Is there a certain height we need for the elevated HeSPU? Also, I thought that once you elevated your hands or use paralletes they become HSPU (full ROM)? Just want to make sure I am doing the right movement. One more question, how do we use the 232 tempo for the windshield wipers?

Michael Traynor

Forgive my newbieness but what are windshield wipers? Are they in the book?

Freeflyer
Breaks said:
Forgive my newbieness but what are windshield wipers? Are they in the book?

yeah, Obliques section. There are 2 different versions. I'll be doing the supine ones myself

Michael Traynor

Bah I left my BtGB at work will need to pop in on the way to the gym, I swear I need 3 copies, work, home and gym. :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Cold Morning :(

WU:

1000m Row

5 Strict Pullups (Chest to Bar)

3 Strict Pullups (20# Vest; Chest to Bar)

5 Headstand Pushups

3 Headstand Pushups (25# Bumper Plates for Elevation)

5 Supinated Windshield Wipers

3 Side Windshield Wipers

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 5s, 5s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 13s, 13s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Bent; 20s, 20s) (I haven't progressed on floor so I'm going to go back to basics)

WOD:

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded Back Lever (Flat Tuck) + 3 Tempo @ 0232 OAC (Green Band Assistance); rest 2 mins.

1 Embedded XR L-Sit (Bent) + 5 Tempo @ 0232 HeSPU; rest 2 mins.

1 Embedded Front Lever (Tuck) + 6 Tempo @ 0232 Supinated Windshield Wipers; rest 2 mins.

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks, Shoulder & Rotator Cuff Drills. Stretch.

Alvaro

3X

-tuck back lever (trying advanced tuck)+ 3 regular chin ups (tempo)on rings

-XR L sit (last one just support)+ 5 tempo Hespu ( weak due to the pain on my wrists I´m not working Handstands or HeSPU lately)

-FL (tuck also trying a bit advanced tuck)+ 6 windshield wipers (very weak poor elasticity!) not even tempo :(

2X 5 wall walks bridges. (I really feel stronger with this! In a month or two surely I´ll be able to do it in one round)

Michael Traynor

Sadly I had to perform todays WOD from home, i tried to replicate as closely as I could which was mostly fine except for the XR L sits as I was using press up handles and a door frame chinning bar.

WU:

5 L sit Wide Grip Chin Ups

5 Elevated Box HeSPU

5 L sit Pull Ups

5 Elevated Box HeSPU

5 Full Flat Tuck Lever Pulls

5 Elevated Box HeSPU

WOD:

3 x 15s Embedded Tuck BL, 3x Assisted tempo OAC each arm

3 x 15s Embedded (going from tuck planche to L sit) Lsit on puss up handles, 3x5 High Box HeSPU

3 x 15s Embedded Flat Tuck FL, 3x6 Windshield Wipers, need to look into this exercise better when I get my BtGB from work.

Not forgetting 10 attempted (but terrible) Bridge Wall Walks, which were so bad I followed up with 10 Inverted Press Ups so I didn't feel so bad.

Still a pretty solid workout even without my XR, thanks coach!

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

1) BL x 15 sec x 3 sets, tempo OAC assisted x 3,3,3(left arm) 2+1 (right arm)

*OAC's were done with assist hand at eye level at the beginning of each rep. Last set got a nice cramp in my right bicep on the second rep during the 3 sec hold at the top, had to wait 10 seconds and finished the 3rd rep

2) XR L sit (legs below parallel) x 15 sec x 3 sets, leg supported tempo HSPU's (parallettes) x 5,5,5

3) adv tuck FL x 15 sec x 3 sets, tempo half windshield wipers x 6, went to tuck legs x 6,6

bridge wall walks x 10

-lack of stall bars makes the windshield wipers tough to perform properly. Thought I managed ok, but really need to build a set of stall bars.

-OAC's (assisted) were tough. Haven't done these in a while, but felt really good.

Carmen Amara

OAP Now that is awesome.

Carmen Amara

OAC Now that is awesome.

Joshua Naterman

1 set GH + 3 reps wrist assisted OAC left hand, 2 reps right hand. 1 set tuck BL + L pull ups, 1 set pelicans.

3 sets XR L sit, bent legs + 4 reps 3"elevated HeSPU, starting from headstand. Later sets got broken into 2+2.

3 sets FL 90 90 tuck + 3 windshield wipers each direction.

No wall walks, my ankle is too tender for that. I finished my ankle apparatus though, and it is quite good.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

3 rds of:

1 XR Sup. Hold to Full Lay BL (15 sec) (rest 20 sec) + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC

Rest 2 min

1 XR Sh. Stand to XR L-Sit (15 sec) (rest 20 sec) + 5 Tempo Elevated HeSpu (around 2 to 2 1/2 in)

Rest 2 min

1 XR Sup. Hold to Half Lay FL (15 sec) (rest 20 sec) + 5 Tempo Windshield Wipers

Rest 2 min

Finished with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 10s Tuck FL)

2x (30s Frogstand + 15s Reverse Pushup)

1x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD:

3 sets of each:

1 Embedded Tuck BL + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC per arm

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Partial RoM HeSPU (5 Tempo HeSPU Negative in latter 2 sets)

1 Embedded Tuck FL + 6 Tempo Supine Windshield Wipers

2x5 Bridge Wall Walks

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:2mdystku]Performed the OAC with assistance from two Iron Woody #1 bands stretching from the bar to under each foot. Works pretty well. Still needed a finger or two of assistance from the other hand to ascend, which I could remove once my chin got over the bar.

kevinrohrbach

One thing I've been wondering in this kind of workout, when there are three pairs of exercises (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2) and Coach says to rest 1-2mins between supersets, what is the superset?

Is it 3x A1+A2 or is it 1x (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2). I'm thinking the second, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, my workout was the following:

WU

3 rounds of: 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 10 squats

Shoulder mobility exercises as per this

. I'll probably replace this with Ido Portals from his blog.

Wrist mobility exercises as per coach (only the stretching part)

General joint mobility/dynamic stretching of the rest of my body

FSP

paired 2x30"


  • Straddle L (legs bent) + tucked FL
    Adv. Frog + Elevated bent leg middle split hold
    tucked BL + L-sit (bent legs)

W/O

3 rounds of:


  • Inverted hang to adv.-tuck BL + 3 Chin-ups - L
    XR support to L-sit (sub-horizontal legs) + 5 HeSPU - Box
    Inverted hang to adv.-tuck FL + 6 Windshield Wipers - supine (I did six lowers each side - is that correct?)

10 Bridge Wall Walks alternated with weighted pikes on a chair

Cool Down

  • Shoulder pre-hab
    Stretching
    Since this is my first post ever, I think. I'll add a bit about myself.

I'm an avid whitewater kayaker, dabble a bit in Parkour and come from a rock climbing background. Through my kayaking and climbing before it, I feel I've developed an unbalanced shoulder girdle and my ROM there is appalling (I can't even get into the starting position of the Wall Extensions...). That said, I have an understandable fear of dislocating a shoulder (the #1 injury in kayaking), hence one of the reasons for taking up the GB workout. I figured, if gymnasts don't have strong shoulders no one has. - And I hate gyms. All the ones around where I live are filled with either jocks with pumped-up muscles or the meat-market crowd more interested in the brand of each others leggings and bra cup size than actually training. Plus, I don't really like pumping iron.

On the whole thought I was reasonably fit before starting the GB workouts; I seem to have been sorely mistaken. As you can see, I downgraded the above workout quite a bit and still it left me trembling on the floor at the end...

Anyway, I'm motivated to make sure that changes!

Cole Dano
kevinrohrbach said:
One thing I've been wondering in this kind of workout, when there are three pairs of exercises (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2) and Coach says to rest 1-2mins between supersets, what is the superset?

Is it 3x A1+A2 or is it 1x (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2). I'm thinking the second, but I'm not sure.

Welcome to the forum!

When you read the Rx for the WOD it will either say rounds or sets.

In this case it was sets- the superset being A1+A2. So after doing the superset rest and repeat it as Rxd then move on to the next B1+B2 etc.

If it says rounds then work through everything and rest.

Joshua Naterman
kevinrohrbach said:
One thing I've been wondering in this kind of workout, when there are three pairs of exercises (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2) and Coach says to rest 1-2mins between supersets, what is the superset?

Is it 3x A1+A2 or is it 1x (A1+A2; B1+B2; C1+C2). I'm thinking the second, but I'm not sure.

Well, generally that is left up to us to decide unless there is something specific in the notes that says "be sure to perform these as straight sets" or something of that nature. Obviously when there is a "rounds" workout you just go down the list and then take your rest at the end of the round.

If you are looking to work slightly more intensely you would want to do a1+a2, 60s rest, b1+b2, 60s rest, c1+c2, 60s rest, and then repeat that whole cycle 2 more times. You will be getting a lot more rest for the muscles, which will be allowing your creatine stores to replenish, which will allow you to perform harder work. This would be closer to a maximal strength effort as the intensity is higher. The training effect here would be that of strength prioritized over size.

If you are looking to build some extra muscle and enhance your anaerobic endurance, which happens to be an excellent way to safeguard the joints, then you would perform a1+a2, 60s rest, a1+a2, 60s rest, a1+a2, 60s rest, b1+b2, 60s rest... etc. You will be burning a lot more muscle sugar this way and you will not be able to work quite as hard because the creatine stores won't have time to replenish. You will build up higher levels of lactate using this method and that leads to more local growth hormone, which tends to lead to slightly more hypertrophy and muscle helps protect tendons so this is a good thing. You will never have more muscle than you need due to the nature of the sets, reps, and the exercises themselves, and this approach tends to be a bit healthier for the joints. Part of the reason is the growth hormone and the other part is the increase in capillarization of the tissues. Basically, you're going to grow new blood vessels in the area and you will have better bloodflow which leads to better healing. You will also not be putting as much physical force into the movements, which helps protect you from injuries and makes recovery go faster.

As Mr. Brady has mentioned, I believe Coach prefers us to do all three sets of a1+a2 before starting b or c.

kevinrohrbach

Thanks to Mr Brady and Slizzardman for the heads-up!

I'll keep those pointers in mind in future WODs.