I’m new to gymnastics and I just completed my first week of bodyweight training. I would like to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. I am using the Killroy70 template. Here’s what my first SSC looks like:
Warmup:
-Joint/mobility prep
-FSP work – If I understand correctly we’re supposed to do 50% of our max hold for however many sets it takes to get to 60 seconds of total time. I do a circuit going from L-sit to Handstand to tuck front lever to German hang and hold each (except HS) for 10s. I then take about a 45 second rest and start the circuit again, repeat 6x. For HS, I hold for about 20 sec against wall and then freestand until losing balance ( usually around 2 seconds). Main focus now is getting L-sit to 60 seconds and getting a freestanding HS.
Here’s what I accomplished in this week’s workout:
Monday: 5x5 PPP, 5x5 tuck front lever pulls (3-4 minutes rest between sets for all exercises every day of week)
Tuesday: 5x5 Inverted Chinup, 5x5 regular dips
Thursday: 5x5 30 lb weighted chins, 5x5 HeSPU –box
Friday: 5x5 L-Chin up, 5x5 dips (originally planned 5x5 pullovers, 5x5 XR negative muscle up, but I got scared trying pullovers for the first time and the rings weren’t available at my gym so I improvised, found out that I could easily do L-chins – had never done them before) I’m going to replace the 30 lb chins on Thurs with L – chin ups for the rest of this SSC.
I plan on cutting volume in half once every 5 workouts.
Questions:
What’s a good sub for pullovers while I’m still scared to do them? I have no spotter and my gym is not at all a safe place to do them
Is it bad to do pull heavy work on consecutive days? Like me doing weighted chins and then L-chins the next day?
Is my circuit training method for FSP warmup the way it’s supposed to be done? Will that yield optimal results?
Am I doing the correct amount of sets and reps for optimal strength development? Everyone seems to say 3x5 or 5x5.
Let’s take Monday’s workout for example, I do one set of 5 PPP, rest 3-4 minutes then do another set of 5 PPP, repeat for the 5 sets. That’s how I do all my workouts. Is that the way it should be done? I’ve heard also that you can make circuits and say do 5 PPP and immediately do 5 tuck FL pulls and take rest after that. That would make the workout go faster but will it yield optimal strength development?
How would leg work best be added into this routine? Should I include core work as well?
Am I missing anything?
Sorry for the length of this post I just have many questions as a noob and I just really want to make sure that I’m doing everything I can to progress as fast as possible.