Please take a look at my program

Started by Evilllamas, July 26, 2011 · 5 Replies · 6,276 Views

Evilllamas

Hi

I'v put together a gymnastics program, and am looking for some feedback for it, as to weather it will work, and if ther is anything I should do less/ more of.

It's loosely based on the killroy70 template- but with the steady state cycle incorporated as well, for all FSP's, except handstand and frog stand- as at the moment I can't really do them at all.

I will be entering another cycle about every 8 weeks, but earlier for this first time, since I tend to make decent gains when I start a new program (6 weeks?)

It's compromised of two different days- each day done twice a week, Monday and Tuesday, then Thursday and Friday, I also climb twice a week which is a good pulling workout.

FSP Sets X Reps (seconds) rest (seconds)

FBE Sets X reps rest (minutes)

Day 1:

Warm Up (See bellow)

Front Lever Progression 6x10s 30s

Back Lever Progression 4x15s 30s

L-Sit on push up stands 7x8s 15s

Planche progression (frog stand, can barely hold for 1 second) 10x until failure 10s

Uneven Chins 3X Until failure 2 Min

Hand Stands 10x Until failure 5s

Stretches (http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/) I do part one and two of the basic program, along with some extra hamstring work.

Day 2:

Warm Up (See bellow)

Front Lever Progression 6x10s 30s

Back Lever Progression 4x15s 30s

L-Sit on push up stands 7x8s 15s

Planche progression 10xTF 10s

Psuedo Planche Push Ups 3X until Failure 2min

Pistol (One leg squat) 3X until failure 2min

Hand Stands 10x Until failure 5s

Stretches

Warm Up: (I can't incorporate any dip holds, as I have no means of doing dips at the moment)

60s Plank

60s Reverse Plank

60s hollow hold

60s Superman Hold

60s Chin Up Hang

Please tell me if there is anything I'm doing wrong, or anything I should be doing more/ less of, I'm very new to Gymnastics- and Strength training in general.

Thanks

Quick Start Test Smith

Evilllamass, I'm not experienced enough yet to give you any advice, but that said, it looks solid to me!

CalisthenicGod

Evilllamas,

I am certainly not an advanced gymnastic trainee, but I have been training for awhile and I will speak from my personal experience.

1. I noticed some of your exercises you go to failure, I believe you do not have to go to failure to make good strength gains. I suggest sticking to 3x5 for 5x5 template, which is what is suggested in the book.

2. As far as I can tell, you only have these FBE's: Uneven Chins, PPP and Pistols. Basically you have a pull-up variation, an horizontal push and legs. What you are still lacking, in my opinion, is a horizontal pull (a row variation). This is necessary to maintain shoulder balance, and I recommend you work on them as soon as possible.

This is as much advice I can give you for now, good luck.

Evilllamas

Thanks for the input- I don't have a row variation as I thought the pull ups were doing the job for me- I can do nearly 20 full chins, and find the front lever (tucked obviously) rows quite easy, so was looking for something more difficult.

I'll include them somehow though

CalisthenicGod
Evilllamas said:
Thanks for the input- I don't have a row variation as I thought the pull ups were doing the job for me- I can do nearly 20 full chins, and find the front lever (tucked obviously) rows quite easy, so was looking for something more difficult.

I'll include them somehow though

I would say add tucked front lever rows to your day 1, that way both your days would have 8 total exercises including warm-up. Rows are important because most people's anterior deltoids overpower their posterior deltoids, and this will only be more prominent when you get better at planche and other pressing moves. Chin-ups do hit the posterior deltoids, but not to the degree of rows, therefore rows and a pull-up variations are essential for muscular balance.

Blairbob

I wouldn't go to failure on the uneven chins. For pistols, you might be alright since working pistols/SLS for many people it's more of a skill than strength. Many people simply lack the coordination or flexibility rather than strength to do them.

I prefer L-sit before the levers and 45s minimum rest but whatever works for you and that's when working at 50% for me. Heck, I can get away with 45-60s for FL but prefer 60-90s for BL.

Use chairs for dips. Even the corner of a kitchen counter can work.

I do really like how the Killroy70 program alternates pulling and pushing in 3 planes besides multiplane.

Right now, I do something like this.

Tuesday is OverheadPress which I do morning or afternoon. At night, I do weighted dips and pseudoplanche pushups. Generally I do the PPPU to warm up for the weighted dips. I warm up with sets of inverted pullups (body curls) and pppu's then weighted dips and tuck FL pullups and finish with rope pullups for some pullup volume.

Friday is BenchPress so I will be doing HSPU and dips for volume (probably ring or bulg dips) instead of weighted dips, weighted pullups instead of tuck FL but possibly be doing bulgarian rows instead of tuck FL to go with the weighted pullups.

Generally before all of this is 3 sets of bodyrow to muscle-up, 2 sets of negative muscle-up. I might change this and just alternate them since doing negative MU after body row MU makes them craptastic. After that is generally some seated MU and possibly dead hang MU.

Hence straight and bent arm days. I used to do them split, but I'm tinkering with this for now after I saw Robb Wolf implement it. It also saves me a bit on time to work some event swings.