New Workout Log - Critique Please

Started by Xixor, July 25, 2011 · 0 Replies · 2,214 Views

Xixor

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any critiques or ideas about the gymnastics routine I put together based on BtGB and stuff I have read on this forum. It goes by a numbered day system, rather than days of the week and it includes days for interval training, which I didn't see much of, if any at all in BtGB (I realize that its not important for everyone to do, but I need to include some of this type of training to keep my bodyfat levels <10%). I tried to separate the days that are targeting similar muscle groups (although this is much harder with gymnastics training than other types, lol) and the most important point to keep in mind is that rest days can be inserted anywhere, at any time as needed. Beginners can have one or multiple rest days after every workout day, and advanced athletes could probably go through the whole routine before taking a day off.

Day 1 - Static Planche + Dynamic Pushups/Dips

Day 2 - Static Back Lever + Dynamic Curls

Day 3 - Interval Sprinting on Track

Day 4 - Static L-Sit + Dynamic Core/Legs

Day 5 - Intervals on Airdyne Stationary Bike

Day 6 - Static Handstand + Dynamic Handstand Pushups

Day 7 - Static Front Lever + Dynamic Pullups/Rows

Day 8 - General Physical Preparedness (GPP circuit training, a la Ross Enamait)

The static work follows the guidelines set forth in BtGB - 60 seconds aggregate work on a progression broken up into work sets with reps based on your max hold divided by two. Dynamic work follows the appropriate progressions, 3-5 reps, and is usually a total of 6 working sets (ex. 3 sets pushups, 3 sets dips, or 6 sets handstand pushups) The sets volume could be scaled up or down here depending on the individual.

Steady State - I would consider 8-10 times through the whole eight day routine as one steady state cycle. Progressions, reps, times etc. all stay the same for the entire cycle before increasing time/going to the next progression, etc. to allow connective tissue to catch up.

Once a solid base is build with this routine for a few cycles, I will probably change things slightly to incorporate the multi-plane and ring routine stuff in. Hand strength and wrist prehab is included throughout the eight day cycle as well at my discretion.

Let me know what you all think, looks good? Gaps or things I am missing?

Also, I have this routine, with more info about the progressions that I am working on here, just in case anyone was interested:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... n_US#gid=0

Its under the "gymnastics" tab at the bottom. All of the progressions are under the other tab.

Xixor