FSP planche variety

Started by Samuel Carr, July 23, 2011 · 7 Replies · 3,139 Views

Samuel Carr

I am currently working on adv frogstand, and progress has been pretty slow because im getting used to the balance (hands backwards), scapula protraction, and leaning forward. But so I am wondering if it would be a good idea and help me to progress faster if for the FSP work before the wods, I switched everyday between trying adv frog stans, planche leans, and adv frog stands using a band around my waste

Joshua Naterman

I don't think waist bands will help very much, personally. Planche leans and adv frog work are good, and XR support adds a LOT. Weighted dips and tempo PPP (weighted when you are strong enough) will enhance your strength tremendously.

Don't forget to work your row variations as well!

I just tried tuck FL rows with a 76 lb vest and they are HARD. 2 good reps is all I can get, the 3rd is kind of crappy. 76 lb weighted PPP feels ok, and I feel like I will be gaining a lot of strength from working those until I can get sets of 12-15 reps. Right now 4-5 seems about right. I do serratus push ups at the end of the set and 7-8 reps seems to work well. That's basically when you protract the scapula fully and then let them return to a neutral or retracted position without bending the arms. That's hard and while full ROM is nice you should work with what you've got at the moment and build your way into full ROM if you don't have it.

Samuel Carr

The only reason I added the thing about using a band for tuck planching is because of what ido portal said here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6549&p=58256&hilit=tuck+planche+ido+portal#p58256

I can hold an XR support for 60 sec so I stopped working that for time unless it's in the wod. I also do rows on the pulling days and currently am trying to get the bulgarian rows on lock with perfect form while standing at 45 degrees.

For doing tempo PPPs, is it better to add weight once you're able to or is it better to move your hands further back for decreased leverage instead?

Blairbob

Crap, 76lbs. Nice.

That must be a pretty expensive vest.

After 60s ring support you could go wider or move on towards L-sit then ring HS.

Samuel Carr

But did you read the link? Ido Portal recommends using a band assisted tuck planche and skipping frog stand entirely

Joshua Naterman

Nah, the vest's 80 lbs and costs like 120! ZFO makes it, I think.

You can do what you like, but band assisted planche is generally not necessary. Ido has his way and I'm sure it works, but bands are tricky to set up properly and they are totally not necessary. I think that sort of thing ends up being more of a waste of time than anything else. I have tried it, and quite honestly I was not impressed. That does not mean it won't work really well for some people. This is the kind of thing you should feel free to experiment with and then report results after 1-2 SSC if you think it's more worthwhile than just building your strength with bent arm work and conditioning the connective tissue with PL leans and XR support work. For me those two work the best.

Blairbob

I've played around with spotting, self assisted spotting with bands and on a ball.

I prefer body position. However, when introducing a new position to athletes I will often spot them through so long as it's lightly. Some of our coaches will use medium to heavy spots to spot them through straight body positions but I'm not a huge fan of this, not necessarily when it means I can't be watching something else. It sort of depends.

Samuel Carr

Hm okay thanks. I'm going to just work more on xr support and planche leans then, hopefully after 2 ssc's or so I can report back with some good progress