Intro and question about ring supports

Started by Jeremy Kieley, July 21, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,258 Views

Jeremy Kieley

Hello everyone. As you can probably tell, I'm new to the forum. I'm also new to gymnastic training. I'm planning on ordering the XR rings next week. I'm so excited.

I have one question though. Since I don't have any PB, can I work on ring supports (palms facing body like PB and not turned out)? Ive read they're a lot more intense but I figured if I work up to them (legs on a chair/floor to reduce bodyweight) or using bands it would be a decent substitute.

I'll be following the getting started post that's stickied. So I'll be working on the base foundation of plank, reverse plank, arch and hollow holds and was thinking of doing the support and dead hangs from the rings. Im fairly weak so I'm expecting my journey to basic moves to take a while but I'm really looking forward to it.

My goal isn't to be a gymnast. I don't have any interest in learning full ring routines or dismounts (which I know not to attempt at home anyway) but I love bodyweight strength training and I vow that one day I'll get an IC and Maltese and maybe even ring planche, inverted cross and inverted Maltese (Victorian I believe)! Even if it takes me decades I will get it, I dont care what anyone says!

Lol well I may never get there but I'm sure as hell gonna try :P

Anyway I hope to meet some new people on this forum and can't wait to start. And if anyone could answer my question about doing ring supports instead of PB supports I'd really appreciate it.

Blairbob

Progressing from a prone support (pushup hold) on rings before tackling a free support is a good idea. You can vary the angle as necessary. Your goal as well would be 60s in one position before making the angle more horizontal or vertical (with the feet as high or higher than the hands).

Jeremy Kieley

So do you think once I can do a 60s prone support with feet at ring level, I should start practicing ring supports with "PB grip"? And should I keep my hands facing each other in a "PB grip" for prone support?

Blairbob

At first I would work them parallel and then before progressing on would like to see them turned out with the forearms off the straps.

The next step I used was assisted support holds with the big toes on the ground while pointed on a mat or block.

Jeremy Kieley

Thanks a lot :)