Rings rather than floor, carry-over

Started by mpepper, July 20, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,329 Views

mpepper

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently ordered (and received) BTGB and a set of X-Rings. Great stuff!

I'm a 32 year-old kettlebell enthusiast of above average strength, particularly in pullups. I can do a true one-arm pullup. I also do hanging leg raises and pistols (single-leg squats) as part of my workouts. I like thick-bar training, especially rows, which helped me recover from a nasty shoulder imbalance a few years ago. I have done some ring work on the beach of Santa Monica. Nothing fancy, just some basic germans. I once did a brief handstand on rings.

I am able to hold a 20s L-sit on my rings without pain, but doing so on the floor bothers my shoulders and elbows. In fact, I prefer not to do anything on the floor, even planks. The rings are more comfortable for me.

Is it ok to skip the floor progression and continue my L-sit work on the rings, and will doing so have a carry-over effect to future floor work?

Right now I'm focusing on L-sits, FL, and my regular FBE work.

Julekman

If you have any sign of medical problems that prevent you to do L sit or similar on the floor, then there is no reason to change anything in the moment if you feeling ok, progressing and like what you do. Of course, L sit on the floor with flat hands is much harder then any other variation and gives more for future development. Technically, L sit on the pb bars, rings etc, are the same as L sit on the floor, but on the floor cheating (lifting shoulders) is impossible. Anyway, when you feel ok, import some work on the floor too, but if you dont like it, do whatever you find motivated for you to progress. Rings are tough, so If your progress move on rings, it definitely move on other areas as well, even more for most similar exercises.

Warrior'sSuite

If you go hard you gotta get on the floor.