Integrated training - number of sets

Started by Gym777, July 17, 2011 · 11 Replies · 2,910 Views

Gym777

I'd like to ask about a proper number of sets for static exercises that are used during the integrated training

Should I do 3 sets of for example Frog Stand before doing 1 set of Wall Planche (10 static sets \ 3 basic strength sets )or should I do 1 set of static exercise for each set of basic strength exercise? (3 static sets \ 3 basic strength sets)

Thanks in advance!

Joshua Naterman

I believe this is covered in the book.

If you are doing frog stand work you are not even remotely close to being ready to mess with wall planche. Someone step in and get more specific if you think it needs to be specified, but personally I think wall planche is a terrible idea until you have a very solid advanced tuck planche, like 35-40s. You basically need to be nearly ready to move on to straddle planche training. That doesn't mean when you can do a straddle planche, because I can do one right now and there's no WAY you'll catch me messing with wall planches. I won't be messing with that until I have completed my 60s advanced frog and then my tuck and then my flat tuck. That will probably be next September at the very earliest, and that is NOT what I am expecting.

There is a very, very large difference between your maximum capabilities and the level at which you actually spend most of your time training for several years at the least. It takes at least 3 years of consistent injury-free training to build up your connective tissue to the point where you can train fairly intensely with planche work.

griffdrc
slizzardman said:
That doesn't mean when you can do a straddle planche, because I can do one right now and there's no WAY you'll catch me messing with wall planches. I won't be messing with that until I have completed my 60s advanced frog and then my tuck and then my flat tuck.

You can do a straddle planche... but can't do a 60s advance frog???

Gym777

Maybe I'm doing the wall planche improperly because it feels relatively easy..

But what about a proper number of sets for integrated training?

griffdrc
Gym777 said:
Maybe I'm doing the wall planche improperly because it feels relatively easy..

make sure your body is hollow, arms straight and sholders are protracted... also the closer the hands are to the waist the harder it is...

Joshua Naterman
griffdrc said:
slizzardman said:
That doesn't mean when you can do a straddle planche, because I can do one right now and there's no WAY you'll catch me messing with wall planches. I won't be messing with that until I have completed my 60s advanced frog and then my tuck and then my flat tuck.

You can do a straddle planche... but can't do a 60s advance frog???

Elbows aren't ready for it. I have the strength, but the elbows just aren't there. I haven't been doing any straight arm stuff for a long time because my shoulder didn't move properly and I was reinforcing bad habits, and now my shoulder is starting to work correctly for the first time since like 2003 so I am slowly starting back. It should only take 2-3 years to be able to safely train full planche on a regular basis, I'll have the strength a long time before that.

griffdrc
slizzardman said:
Elbows aren't ready for it. I have the strength, but the elbows just aren't there. I haven't been doing any straight arm stuff for a long time because my shoulder didn't move properly and I was reinforcing bad habits, and now my shoulder is starting to work correctly for the first time since like 2003 so I am slowly starting back. It should only take 2-3 years to be able to safely train full planche on a regular basis, I'll have the strength a long time before that.

umm... isn't elbow strength part of being strong enough to perform a planche? but glad the shoulder is feeling better...

Gym777 said:
But what about a proper number of sets for integrated training?

the number of sets is largely depedant upon your current work capaity...

Joshua Naterman

It is, and I have a lot of high end strength so a 2-3 second straddle planche once or twice a week won't hurt me, but it also won't do very much for my conditioning and as I am feeling right now is still too much for the shoulder overall. Of course I did like 5 of those today, properly pressing out from a tuck through flat tuck to straddle and then holding. That's with fingers forward. Fingers backwards would blow my elbows immediately. I think that 1-2 holds every 4-5 days will be a lot smarter and better.

I prefer to underestimate my abilities a bit so that I don't get carried away with the desire to test my true limits lol! That always seems to get me hurt.

I am starting off with a combination of advanced frog and tuck planche work, very low volume that is well within my abilities for the most part. That straddle stuff is just once a week or so for high end strength work, and I lower down through a push up to end it. That's probably the part that I did too much of today lol!

griffdrc
slizzardman said:
It is, and I have a lot of high end strength so a 2-3 second straddle planche once or twice a week won't hurt me... I did like 5 of those today, properly pressing out from a tuck through flat tuck to straddle and then holding. That's with fingers forward.

i'ld love to see a video of your straddle planche and oac (you wrote somewhere that you did a few for coach in may)...

Joshua Naterman

I will. I figure I'll put something like that together this weekend, I've been talking a bunch and it's time to post video. I took almost a month off after the seminar so my OAC strength is the same, I only have unassisted ones on my strongest days but even on my weakest days a 35 lb assist is easy.

Gym777

Currently I'm using this scheme:

back lever(tuck) 4 sets \ 10 s > pulling - Front Lever Rows - flat tuck 1 set 5 reps

back lever(tuck) 3 sets \ 10 s > pulling - Front Lever Rows - flat tuck 1 set 5 reps

back lever(tuck ) 3 sets \ 10 s > pulling - Front Lever Rows - flat tuck 1 set 5 reps

We'll see is it effective or not in a few weeks :)

Joshua Naterman

Definitely post an update around mid or late August!