Training without a program/regimen

Started by circuscircus, July 12, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,027 Views

circuscircus

IF YOU WANT TO GET RIGHT TO THE POINT, READ THE BOLD TEXT.

Hey there, I'm super new at this sort of thing. I've never been a person to work out, or lift weights. I'm an aerial silks artist, martial artist, and dancer, so pretty much everything I know is skill-based.

I'm starting to attend a circus school in September, so I want to get started on male gymnastics for two reasons:

1) I want to learn how to do some more complicated silks work which is similar to mens gymnastics. (Example: Iron cross)

2) Develop a stronger core and body for acrobatics and handbalancing.

Yes, I know that they can teach me all I need to know, but I want to start with as much skill as possible. (Note: I'm a guy.)

I'm really weak (5'10" and 135lbs) so it's a slow start. I've been practicing handstands and L-Sits, and doing planks. All I have is my walls and floor to work with. Now, I'm mostly focused on my L-sits and handstands right now. Once I can do an L-sit to handstand, I'll be happy.

Right now, I've just been doing my general conditioning things until I feel like I'm going to collapse. I don't really have a regime-- everything is just pretty loose. I do floor L-Sits over and over until I fall out of them or until I can't lift myself anymore, and everything else in this fashion.

Will I improve at all doing this?

Also, one more thing: I don't have access to P-Bars, rings, or a chin-up bar. I do, however, have a pole and a stereotypical-apartment-staircase that I can hang off of, but can't do proper chin-ups on. Is it important to do regular hangs?

Thanks!!!

circuscircus

Oh, right: I practice every second day. Is this okay?

Blairbob

Maybe. Have you recovered by the next workout?

Back in my youth, I had some decent strength and no program. I sort of miss those days. However, I did run into a lot of plateau-ing.

Have a program, make a plan and conquer.

circuscircus

Yes, always. I always listen to my body. If it's sore, I don't work it. Some light stretches, but that's it.

I'd like to make a regime/program, but I have no idea how that sort of thing works. I did the hundredpushups.com thing, but that's the closest I've ever got to one.

Quick Start Test Smith

I agree with Bob. I suggest you get a plan (maybe the WODs) or the Killroy template. "Failing to plan is planning to fail." :wink: