returning noob

Started by animalhands, July 12, 2011 · 2 Replies · 1,943 Views

animalhands

Hi all

Its been about 2 years since Ive been on. I had an injury and am now looking to get back. When I first came here I was only interested in learning the planche. I was performing like a straddle planche but with bent legs, like a modified frog with straight arms and legs not resting on arms.

Im looking for more overall fitness now as i think the narrow focus helped guide me to injury. I am very lean and have never had much upper body strength. I am 33, 6'1 and 170. I practice yoga and teach it as well. My flexibility for outweighs my strength.

The planche is still a goal, as is a solid handstand. The flexibility in my low back is a big weakness in my HS. I put together a routine using BTGB ideas. Let me know what you think and how I should modify. I would like to keep the flexibility in my back while increasing strength and awareness in order to have better control of my low back.

Routine

Warmup consisting of sun salutations

Pressing: I have very little upper body strength. To perform 25 pushups is very hard for me.

Pushup variations

Standard, Hindu, Elevated Pike, PPPU, HeSPU negs

I am thinking of using the GB pyramids for these. Starting with 16 standard pushups.

Pulling: Same, 7 chins is my max ATM

Chin up, horizontal row, dragon pull up

Not sure how many of these I should be doing, im thinking 3x5 for each

Legs: I hike about 25 miles a week on steep terrain with my dog.

Deck squats x15

Wall Chair hold accumulating to one minute

Core: Statically I feel very good. Not quite a 3 minute plank.

V Up progression, RLL from HeS, HLL, HLL circles, Body lever progression

FSP:

L-Sit progressions

Planche progression

This would be a M/T/TH/F schedule with 15 minutes of handstand work at the wall as well.

Open to any and all info you all want to share

edit: removed manna and BL progression until sufficient l-sit and GH time is attained

animalhands

So Im guess that I may have not recieved any replies because y'all knew that this was just too much for a noob :D

After the pressing I could only complete 2 chins. And I didnt even make it to the PPPUs!

Im going to haveto split this is up and focus on the most basic strength building.

It does feel good to be wrecked though!

newguy5000

It's easy to get carried away when writing your program. I did the same and vastly underestimated the wear and tear on the body. It's better to take it slowly and gain consistently then go all out and hurt something. Particulalrly if you are teaching Yoga as well, you don't want to get injured or overly sore if it interferes with your paid work. I would recommend beginning with a very simple Steady State Cycle as recommended in Coach's book. I would forget about Planche training and focus on building a solid L Sit and solid Handstand and basic strength in the fundamental pushing / pulling movements. As in Push Ups / Rows / Dips / Pull Ups / Deck Squats. I am finding the program in the book really good and i just added some short handstands at the end- i.e:

Push

Pull

Core

Leg

Handstand

It's simple and works. That's probably why its in the book :)