German Hang questions

Started by Warrior'sSuite, July 11, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,728 Views

Warrior'sSuite

It is said here that german hang is a pre-requisite for the back lever, at least 3 sets of 30s GH.

How much is the rest between sets?

I stopped training the tuck BL some months ago. But i remember that the tuck BL felt easier to me than the GH and i could do more time on it. Why is this? If GH is a prerequisite, how can i do more time on the tuck BL?

I tried the GH today and i could hold it for 30s, maybe i could have held it a little more but it was starting to hurt a bit so i didn't want to push it.

And one last thing, when you do the GH, should you just hang as low as you can, or should you, i don't really know how to explain this, "pull" strongly but with the arms still straight? I think there's a difference between just hanging as low as you can and sort of pulling yourself but still have the arms straight.

Leandro

Check this topic I made some months ago:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5680

But I'm with you. I don't know if it's because I'm bigger than most gymnasts, but tuck BL is a piece of cake in comparison with a german hang. I believe that easier things should be done first. Some will argue that you must first develop the GH so then your arms can take the strain of a BL safely. I say, do anything that doesn't hurt or its not too much effort. Any injury free progress is solid progress.

Warrior'sSuite
Leandro said:
Check this topic I made some months ago:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... =18&t=5680

But I'm with you. I don't know if it's because I'm bigger than most gymnasts, but tuck BL is a piece of cake in comparison with a german hang. I believe that easier things should be done first. Some will argue that you must first develop the GH so then your arms can take the strain of a BL safely. I say, do anything that doesn't hurt or its not too much effort. Any injury free progress is solid progress.

I read the thread. Did you say you could do a full BL, but GH bothered you?

I'm going to do the GH anyway though. I just need to know how much you should rest when you do the 3x30s.

Because if it's 45s, then i can't do the 3 sets, but if it's 1,2 or 3 minutes, then i think i can do them already.

Freeflyer

Rest as little as you need to. I would say 1min would be the maximum.

Leandro
Warrior said:

I read the thread. Did you say you could do a full BL, but GH bothered you?

Yes. But it was a 2 sec hold.

I think there's a huge diference for your elbows if you just hang in the GH, or if you somewhat pull yourself, like you were talking first.

Some say that you should train GH in the biggest rom you can. I don't know whats the best to develop straight arm streght, but well, that kills my elbows. If the purpose is to just increase shoulder rom, there's tons of things you can do without being too hard on elbows. I just don't get it.

If it's almost full rom, with you strongly pulling yourself, contracting everything, then I can too, hold a 30 sec one.

Warrior'sSuite
Leandro said:
Yes. But it was a 2 sec hold.

I think there's a huge diference for your elbows if you just hang in the GH, or if you somewhat pull yourself, like you were talking first.

Some say that you should train GH in the biggest rom you can. I don't know whats the best to develop straight arm streght, but well, that kills my elbows. If the purpose is to just increase shoulder rom, there's tons of things you can do without being too hard on elbows. I just don't get it.

If it's almost full rom, with you strongly pulling yourself, contracting everything, then I can too, hold a 30 sec one.

Hmm. So if you got the BL without doing the GH before, why do you care about the GH? I probably wouldn't heh.

Yeah i'd think that you should do the GH but contracting strongly, i don't see the point of just hanging like that, that may screw up your elbows for sure.

But then again i don't know this for sure because the guys like slizzardman or even the coach aren't saying anything here and of course i don't know much about this.