Another new recruit

Started by fireandwater, July 3, 2011 · 1 Replies · 1,720 Views

fireandwater

Hi everyone. I found this forum a few days ago and have been reading posts trying to figure out where to start, what to do, etc. I am aware that I need to get the book in order to follow along with the WODs and the posts here. As soon as I have the dough for the book I will get it, but in the meantime, I'd like to see if I can get some very basic, beginner advice. I am positive that I will have to work up to doing even the beginning exercises, so can you guys help me out with what to do to prepare myself? I've started doing the following:

30s chin up hang (top position, not dead hang) x 3 sets

pull ups (only going halfway down on the negative) x 3 sets

chin ups x 3 sets

30s handstand x 3 sets

L-sit (can only hold a few seconds even with feet on floor, but not sure I'm leaning correctly)

Hanging leg raise, loose tuck 10 x 3 sets

Kneeling wrist push ups (backs of hands flat on floor)

Diamond push ups 10 x 3 sets

Should I be doing more, less, different exercises?

Should I still be doing regular weight training?

I am also in aerials (circus arts, not no-handed cartwheels :mrgreen: ) training, which is a lot of upper body (and the reason I want to start the gymnastic bodies training). If there are any aerialists here, any specific advice?

Thanks in advance! I know there are a ton of knowledgeable people here, so I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say.

Blairbob

If you're not tumbling, you could probably omit weight training unless you wanted to keep it very low volume. Sort of depends on your focus if it's just recreational or towards professional.

I would work the L-sit on floor as skill work, 5-10x and supplement 1m of volume on parallel bars in either tuck or low L-sit.

Dips, skin the cats, and assisted MU from a horizontal pullup/row.

Ya need to do the plank series, besides working basic support holds. Doesn't sound like you have rings so I would either make some ghetto rings ( rope with pvc cut handles ) or oven baked pvc rings.