HI All, New Here and Looking for Some Help

Started by bsktballfreak150, June 26, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,208 Views

bsktballfreak150

Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself and ask for a little assistance with my beginning program!

A little about myself- I am 23 yrs old, 6'4" and about 195. I workout a lot with weights and do "power yoga" quite often, but this will be my first venture into bodyweight training. I have partially made my workout routine, but I am just seeking a little help with regards of how to structure the amount of reps/sets for each exercise.

Here it is...

M/T/TH/F

Static Work:

-L-Sit Low

-Straddle L Bent

-Back Lever Tuck

-Frog Stand

-Wall Handstands

Workout A + Static Work

-XR Push-Ups

-XR Rows

-HLL Half

-Deck Squats Jumping

-Chin-ups L Tuck

Workout B + Static Work

-Wall Handstand Negatives

-XR Pull-Ups L Tuck

-RLL's

-RSLS

-XR Flys

Workout C + Static Work

-XR Negative Dips

-XR Curls Slanted

-Windshield Wipers Supine

-XR Mountain Climbers

-Jump Squats

So with a M/T/TH/F, it would be M (A), T (B), TH ©, and then repeat (A) for friday, then the following monday would start with (B) and repeat (B) on friday, and so on and so forth.

If that is too much, I was also thinking of doing M/W/F.

I would really like some suggestions on the amount of sets/reps for each exercise as that part of BtGB has thrown me for a loop.

Freeflyer

Do you have any set goals in particular, or just general strength and conditioning. If it is the latter I would suggest looking into the WODs. They are very well programed and cycle through everything. They are also extremely scalable using the book, as you can go back to easier variations of movements in the same family.

If you have specific goals then you can always tailor a program to that, but from your post it seemed fairly general.

Joshua Naterman

I would suggest reading the "prerequisites" thread. You should have those as your main static work until you achieve a 60s proper hollow hold, horizontal plank and reverse plank amongst the others. There's a list there that's pretty important.

You don't need to abandon what you're doing, but I'd give time preference to the prerequisites. They pay off big time in the long run.

Blairbob

Continue what you're doing, add the prerequisites in.

Sets and reps for FBE will be 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. Reps would be 50% of maximum if you were on a SteadyStateCycle. If you can do 10 pullups, you might work 5 pullup sets or try the next progression and see if you could at least get 5. While you are only working 50%, it adds up when you are also doing static work.

Static worksets would be 50% of maximum tested time to equal 60 total seconds of volume. Base progressions require hitting 60s to move on to to next. Do not work a progression unless you can manage 15-20s of that progression as a maximum. If you can do 60s of the prior progression but only 5-10 seconds of the next progression you might have to find something in between.

bsktballfreak150

Yes, my goal is to develop a much higher level of overall strength and fitness.

I appreciate you pointing out the prerequisites sticky, I completely missed it. There is so much information to sift through I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

From what I understand, the Hollow and Arch holds, straight arm hang,and horizontal and reverse planks are the essential prerequisites. I tested myself and I can hold all of those for over 60s each, so should I add them in at the beginning, holding them each once for 60s as a warm up to what I am already doing or should I do more work focusing on them?

Thank you blairbob, the sets/reps thing makes a little more sense to me now. -So for the dynamic exercises, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps depending on how many I can do. How do you know that the exercise is too easy and you should be trying the next progression? If doing 5 sets of 5 reps is really easy?

I also forgot to say in my OP- Thank you for welcoming me into the community, this forum appears to be of extremely high quality and filled with many helpful members. I appreciate all of the help!

Blairbob

You'll find out that even doing an FSP@50% for 3-5 reps (when you can max out and can do 5-10) gets tough over 5 sets after doing the FSP basics and FSP hold for 1m volume. I do rather. I have tried to go at 80% and just crashed and burned. I have even tried to do 2 or 3 planes of motion for merely 3-5 sets only @ 50% worksets and crashed and burned but perhaps that was limitations of work capacity (2 seemed fine but doing all 3 seemed to be asking too much besides 1-2 workouts).