Hi everyone,
Firstly, thanks heaps to Coach Sommer and the mods, Slizzardman, Blairbob and Mr Brady, and everyone else on the forums (for helping me know where to start) you guys have been a great help!
I've recently been doing a steady state cycle I came up with from BtGB but I think I'd like to try the WODs. After reading some of the posts here and having a look at quite a few of the WODs and trying to work out how I'd scale them I have a few questions and also wanted to check I've got the right understanding about SSC for the FSPs. I really want to be doing things right and not ending up injured, especially because I've got some health issues with pain hypersensitivity so I'm prone to hurting myself if I'm not careful.
Warmup / FSP questions:
I'm trying to figure out the 50% max hold thing. Currently I can hold 60 seconds on Plank, Reverse Plank reasonably easily and can hold 60s for PB support, chin up dead hang, hollow and arch holds but it's a bit of a strain so I'm currently doing 3 x 30s and will build up time as I feel ready until I can hold 60s without feeling any strain.
When I'm ready to move on to new FSPs do I test my max hold and then do 50% of that time for sets up to a minute, working up to 3 x 30s and then building up to a 60s no strain / perfect form hold from there?
The next FSPs I was thinking to work on are german hang [should I go rings or bar first?], ring support hold, frog stand, PB L-sit tuck, FL tuck..
WOD questions:
1. When I find the appropriate scaled exercise for the WODs that I can do for suggested reps, do I stick to that variation until it becomes easy (for a few weeks?) before moving onto the next harder one? Or, when should I be testing strength for progression?
2. When the WOD asks for an embedded FSP, how long do I hold it for? Do I do the hardest one I can manage for as long as I can manage because I'm doing easier FSPs in warmup?
3. When PL is recommended in WODs because I don't have a 60s L-Sit, should I train an L-sit variation instead, or frogstand maybe?
4. Because of the health condition I have some of the dynamic and high impact WODs will probably cause more harm than good if I try them at the moment. Would it be okay to substitute low impact exercises until I have a bit more joint strength / integrity? Like kettlebell swings for sled sprints or shuttle runs? Weighted lunges instead of killers? Is there a low impact substitute for depth jumps, senders etc.
5. In terms of the ring series in the WODs, I did gymnastics training when I was somewhere around 8 - 12 but no rings since then. Should I start working on ring series one, scaling the exercises for the rings right down (like leaning muscle up or false grip pullups), or because I don't even have a strong ring support hold should I focus on splitting up the movements asked for in the ring series and doing them on fixed bars where possible? And then when I can do easy 60s PB support and 10 controlled PB dips start working on the ring series? Any other prerequisites? I guess I'm confused because rings dips are such an advanced (for me anyway) element in BtGB.
Thanks everyone for reading and for any replies I appreciate it!
David