Rest?

Started by Micah Ellinger, June 16, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,156 Views

Micah Ellinger

I imagine there already is a topic on this, in which case please just point me in the right direction.

How are rest periods implemented into the Steady State Training Cycle?

I just finished my second cycle of 8 weeks.. meaning 16 weeks of consistently working on planche and front lever exercises 4 days per week. Is it pretty routine or expected to have a rest week? Or is there a week or cycle where it is recommended to vary the exercises or load? I worry about stagnation and that I will plateau.

Thanks for your replies.

Blairbob

Coach Sommer has talked about a rest or down week after 3 weeks. So the 4th week would be half volume (I'm not sure it would be half intensity).

Generally at the end of an 8 or 12 week cycle, I take it easy the week after. According to SSC, that last phase will have allowed me to prepare for the new phase so it might not be necessary. Generally, I use that week to test FSP and FBE maxes to get new benchmarks and standards to work with in the next cycle.

jl5555

I just wrapped up more than a month of off-time from GB with a change in programming to mix things up. Back to it now and I don't feel as though I've lost anything, I feel stronger actually...

I took a month to totally change my workout programming and it seems to have paid off. I'm much more flexible, lost a few fat pounds off the middle. I did a month of unlimited Bikram. While I wouldn't want to do that all the time (I would bore quickly), it certainly is an excellent way to quickly improve your active and passive flexibility.