FSP's train arm tendons. What about legs?

Started by Michael Miskelly, June 16, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,364 Views

Michael Miskelly

I just read something posted by Dillon while he was making the point about FSP's developing tendons and ligaments and how that is very useful for someone in MMA to be less susceptable to arm bars and such. If your tendons are strong then you are less prone to injury etc. Due to the fact that tendon strength seems so beneficial and considering all the FSP's are upper body tendon building movements, would it be useful to incorporate something like a pistol static to get knee ligaments to become stronger, or, would the fact you are doing pistols be enough to strengthen them sufficiently? Im guessing a static won't be much help in a pistol because in the other FSP's you are holding yourself in a disadvantaged position whereas in the bottom of a pistol you are essentially sitting down with one leg held out.

I am interested in this because I play soccer and have managed to damage knee cartilage in the past from merely kicking a ball hard. My knee swole up pretty bad and wouldn't straighten properly for about 3 months, I was then able to start training it after about another 3 months. After that happened I decided to strengthen the muscles of my quads and my hamstrings. I can do pistols and GHR's without any problem now but it is always in the back of my mind that I have previously damaged my knee. If there would be a benefit in securing my future knee health by focusing somehow on strengthening the knee ligaments then I would be interested in knowing how to go about it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Mic

Cole Dano

There are leg prehab routines that are covered in the seminar.

Kobi Yemini

You can check Ido's Squat Clinic Routine

try

and also you can do

Lateral Squats

Rotational Squats

Reverse Lunge with Twist

Crossover Reverse Lunge

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

have lot of mobility drills for the ankle, knee, hips, external and internal rotators

I hoop it could help