Mini-workouts and Protocols

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, June 11, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,601 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

Mini-workouts can be used to address weaknesses or lagging components of your strength and conditioning, usually focusing on things that don't get a lot of direct training. For example, a mini-workout may be composed of wrist/forearm work, neck work, trap work, ankle/calve work, and grip work. It could easily involve other things, too, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Anyway, I want to incorporate some of these mini-workouts into my routine because I feel that I am weak in a lot of these areas. The thing I am unsure about is the rep and set range of these exercises. I would put them into a circuit/giant set system like this:

A1 - Neck harness backward raise

A2 - Wrist roller

A3 - SL calf raise

A4 - Trap raise

A5 - Neck harness, band, or plate forward raise

A6 - Plate pinch

Is this a good set up? I was thinking of the following rep and set scheme, but I would be happy to hear alternative suggestions.

3 rounds of... w/ no rest between rounds

A1 - 25, 20, 15 - Neck harness backward raise

A2 - 10, 8, 6 - Wrist roller or weighted pole rotations

A3 - 10, 8, 6 (each) - SL heavy calf raise

A4 - 10, 8, 6 - Trap raise

A5 - 25, 20,15 - Neck harness, band, or plate forward raise

A6 - 30s Plate pinch

I hope that's not confusing... :lol:

Thanks!

Quick Start Test Smith

I never thought I'd be finding myself saying this, but...

*bump*

Freeflyer

I am a little confused, were you planning to incorporate these into your WODs or at a different time of the day. I would say if you have time, doing the away from your WOD would be more beneficial, since I know at least for myself, WODs usually last at least an hour with warm ups and all.

Also, do you really find trap work lacking? Gymnastics is pretty trap intensive. Have you been working Press to HS/HeS at all?

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Nick. You're right. For me, warm up, FSP, plus WOD takes about an hour. Sometimes more. I would add two mini-workouts per week, on Wednesday and Saturday, my non-WOD days.

I actually have not been working the press to HS or HeS outside of any of it that shows up in the WODs. I'm still working on getting a 60 second straight WHS.

Freeflyer

If you are really pressing out on that HS you should be getting a fair amount of traps into it. Although if it is something you really feel is lacking, that is your prerogative. You know your own body better than any of us. If you add it and your handstands start to suffer though, you probably added too much

Quick Start Test Smith
Nick_EOD said:
If you are really pressing out on that HS you should be getting a fair amount of traps into it. Although if it is something you really feel is lacking, that is your prerogative. You know your own body better than any of us. If you add it and your handstands start to suffer though, you probably added too much

Thank you. That's good advice.