I know you're supposed to hold the first couple of static positions (planche, FL, BL, L-sit) for 60 seconds then move to the next one. But when are you supposed to switch to a 15 second hold time? I think I saw someone say once you reach the straddle position, but I just want to make sure
Also, how do you train the 15 second hold time, or is it the same as training for 60 seconds? Thanks
How many seconds to hold for statics?
Started by changeup, June 9, 2011 · 3 Replies · 4,929 Views
There are no strict rules, it depends on your goals. For example there are no upper limit, if you're not happy with 60 you can do 90 sec (in FL and BL this helped me alot) but I would say anything more than 3 mins will not doing much on strength, but will generate more vascularization and endurance. Some chinese coach requires wall HS for 30-60 mins, in western world it's 10 mins for elite.
For BtGB aficionados it's something like 60s for basics and 15s for the advanced, with 30s for the middle stances ![]()
The fact is, doing 60s is very draining for progression like l-sit on rings/manna/full BL or FL or PL and doesnt pay off more, especially if you're not a professional gymnast. Even if you are, in competition you only need 2 seconds so even 15s is huge.
Then why you do so much at the beginning? it's related to ligament strength and building a nice base for future progression. But when you have a solid foundation the goal is to keep going as fast as safely possible.
So when you can do the next progression for more than 5 secs, it's okay to switch. You can also do the previous progression together like 3x5s PL and then 3x5 straddle PL.
Thanks Felipe. Just one quick question. Which ones are considered the middle stances and the advanced stances? I'm doing the planche, BL, FL, and L-sit holds. I don't think I'll be doing the other 2 any time soon.
IMHO flat tuck FL / BL / PL would be for 30 secs maybe even L-sit PB advanced and straddle on rings. I could be wrong but that's my experience. Remember to fill the required 1x60/3x30s lsit before serious PL work.