Jeff, you're hilarious man. I meant Greg as in Greg Everett from PerformanceMenu and Catalyst Athletics. He posted an article in response to K-Star's blog shortly after it was posted.
I actually tried Bulgarian Split Squats today and couldn't really get a hang of them. This was with a barbell on my back versus dumbbells in my hands. I got sick of screwing with it and did lunges instead. I stopped@225 mainly because I was starting to gas out and a failed FS@245 was showing why I was slowing down.
Right now, a lot of the girl's lunges are piss poor pathetic which is why I'm doing the split squats. The Olympian we have who was coaching his "special" group (and is big into the East Blok materials/programs) didn't have a problem but those girls have been training for a couple of years so they are typically stronger with better awareness and they are some of the toughest girls we have in the gym. Not like my beginners.
I also like doing the split squats because it takes less room and in a gym as small as ours, that's a big issue. More often than not, I don't have the room to have the girls do lunges or broad jumps or ag walks, etc because of all the groups going on around 630-7.
As for my fellow coaches, while they are helpful and catch on quick to the cues I give the girls and demo, I cannot trust them to know anything when it comes to lifting. There are 2 gals who are kind of against the girls lifting anything more than 5lb dumbbells so I just ignore them or give the girls the choice of getting stronger or whatever.