Hey guys I've been lurking around for a while and have found SO much amazing information so firstly I just want to thank absolutely everyone for all the information that you so willingly share. I have really learnt a lot and have improved as a gymnastics coach as a result. Also thank you to Coach Sommer your book is fantastic and a great tool that my entire gym uses.
Nooooow the real question. I coach a number of different classes and one of them is a mid level girls class. I've started spending a fair bit of time on strength with them (they are aged about 9-12) and specifically have started weighted squats. I've been using bags of sand that we have, they are about 3-5kg each (so not too heavy), and my girls are currently using 3-4 bags.
The technique I use is feet about shoulder width, maybe a little wider, feet turned out about 45 degrees and squatting down below horizontal keeping back straight. The technique the senior coaches use is putting a ball between knees to stop them tracking badly, keeping feet fairly close together and pointed forwards and back, of course, straight.
I've been approached by some senior coaches and told that this may not be good for them, both in terms of technique and the amount of weight. And as far as I'm aware the whole stunting growth is a myth right? We had a bit of a discussion about it and decided we needed to further research on this. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some idea of whether I should be doing this or not? Is there anything I could/should change to improve this or avoid problems with injury. So far I have had no injuries and they all seem to be doing it with good technique. We are doing 3 sets of 5, the idea being that it's fairly difficult.
Sorry for this excessively long post haha but help would very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys 8)