New Guy Checking In! HIIT Question

Started by ScottTho, June 2, 2011 · 0 Replies · 2,190 Views

ScottTho

Hey all!

Just discovered this forum about a week ago and have been reading quite a bit. I haven't bought the book yet, and am going to hold out a few weeks as cash is tight (broke college kid :( ). Hopefully once I get the book a lot of things will be explained as I have about a million questions about everything. Anyways, quick introduction: I'm studying Finance and Accounting at the Indiana University Kelley School of Business, and am thinking about adding a Percussion Performance major in the Jacobs School of Music this fall. I love fitness and health and studying up on it, and am addicted to expensive hobbies :D. Some of which include photography, drumming, and auto detailing.

Right now I'm pretty out of shape because I've had rotator cuff problems/tendonitis for the past 9 months or so, and have been dealing with tenosynovitis of the wrist since December. This has meant I've been out of the gym and inactive since about September, mainly because of the shoulder. I actually went to a physical therapist for awhile and got the shoulder deal mostly resolved, but then I had to keep my wrist in a splint for the tenosynovitis and still haven't been able to lift. At this point I'm trying to get my doctor to get on board with surgically releasing the tendon in my wrist, because obviously splinting and icing it along with taking anti-inflammatories and getting cortisone shots isn't working...it's been like this for 5 months. That said, it poses a little bit of a problem with me getting into this whole gymnastics stuff. No. 1, because I'm crazy out of shape, and No. 2, because for about a week or two after surgery, which should be in two weeks or so if I'm lucky, I'll likely have to stop most activity and therefore won't be able to workout. So I want to use these next two weeks or so to start getting somewhat in shape, so that when I cant use my hand again I'll be in a fairly decent starting position to start working some of the progressions on here. I also would like to make HIIT part of my training each week.

For the past two weeks or so, I've been working on pullups, chin-ups, pushups, dips, and core work 3 times a week, in addition to biking pretty much everywhere and doing HIIT sprints twice a week. I'm absolutely pitiful at pushups right now, and I guess it has something to do with my shoulder. I saw slizzardman's video on shoulder health and have been stretching it daily as well as doing external rotations with a theraband. It actually feels a lot better since I've been doing that.

My question(s) is/are this: What core work should I start doing now? I've been doing hanging leg static holds, as well as hanging knee raises and planks.

Also, how do you all incorporate HIIT into your training? I want to do rather short sprints (I'm talking like 10-12 seconds, tops) to build some leg strength and speed, rather than longer, 80-85% speed sprints such as 200/400 meter "sprints." I want to start doing scaled down versions of the WOD for leg days, because I want to start working on my vert, and because I should still be able to do that while my hand is out of order. So how would you incorporate these sprints weekly with the leg WOD's?

Thanks!

Scott

EDIT: I should note that I have read the cardio thread, and it didn't really address my question since it was pretty much just an ongoing argument about whether or not LISS was good or bad for you lol. I do search before I post :)