Am I doing enough? (Not getting sore)

Started by kcjb, May 29, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,394 Views

kcjb

I am 34, 5'9 165 lbs. I have lifted weights in the past, but have had a significant hiatus from almost anything physical (6+ months). I have started doing wrist warmups, slizzardman's recommended FSP warmups in addition to L-sit PB and FS, then moving onto the WODs afterwards. I am not doing any other strength training - just the warmups and WODs.

If I am reading correctly, this is the recommended pattern for newcomers. I find the routine very challenging - it's not like any part of it is easy. After the workout, I am left very tired and feel as though it was appropriately taxing. I have been doing this for a week now and am just surprised that there hasn't been any soreness. None.

My experiences with weightlifting suggests that I should be sore, especially since I am moving from what was a relatively sedentary lifestyle beforehand. I had every expectation to be sore - it just isn't happening. That has led me to believe that perhaps I'm just not doing enough.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think I should do more? I am considering adding in PB dips and chinups - perhaps even a little weight lifting. Any thoughts?

Larry Roseman
kcjb said:
I am 34, 5'9 165 lbs. I have lifted weights in the past, but have had a significant hiatus from almost anything physical (6+ months). I have started doing wrist warmups, slizzardman's recommended FSP warmups in addition to L-sit PB and FS, then moving onto the WODs afterwards. I am not doing any other strength training - just the warmups and WODs.

If I am reading correctly, this is the recommended pattern for newcomers. I find the routine very challenging - it's not like any part of it is easy. After the workout, I am left very tired and feel as though it was appropriately taxing. I have been doing this for a week now and am just surprised that there hasn't been any soreness. None.

My experiences with weightlifting suggests that I should be sore, especially since I am moving from what was a relatively sedentary lifestyle beforehand. I had every expectation to be sore - it just isn't happening. That has led me to believe that perhaps I'm just not doing enough.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think I should do more? I am considering adding in PB dips and chinups - perhaps even a little weight lifting. Any thoughts?

Here's a short answer: you're lucky :)

Soreness primarily comes from the ecentric movements, so spend more time doing negatives if you want more soreness.

The key thing is whether you're improving month to month. If you're not then that's a concern.

kcjb
FutureisNow said:

Soreness primarily comes from the ecentric movements, so spend more time doing negatives if you want more soreness.

The key thing is whether you're improving month to month. If you're not then that's a concern.

Interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware that soreness primarily came from eccentric movements. Do folks generally use the WOD as a starting point or do I have the idea right that it is an entire FBE workout on its own?

Michael Traynor

DOMS is in no way an indicator of correct working out or of strength gains or anything at all really. Coach can be quoted saying this many times and it is true in my experience. If you feel you have pushed yourself and your current routine is sufficiently challenging then lack of pain is no reason to change that.