This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout Log · Ominous

Started by Ominous, May 26, 2011 · 25 Replies · 1,552 Views

Ominous

Hello!

Personalia

  • Early twenties, 183cm(6'0), 71kg(156lbs), 9,5% bodyfat

Background
  • I started training, pretty much from scratch, about 4 years ago. Began as an indoor climber, transitioned into endurance-running and enduring-strength for a few years while working in the military. After that I was somewhat inspired by sites such as
http://www.sealfit.com/ for a year before I realized how much I am fascinated by gymnasts. I discovered this forum a few months ago, and was instantly amazed by the information it contains. Got my hands on Building the Gymnstic Body, plowed through it, and now I've decided to start logging my efforts towards adding some gymnastic capabilities to my repertoire.
I have been logging my training at a different forum ( http://milforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=341585#p341585 ) since the start of 2011, which is something that has helped progress immensely. Actual loggging of the exercises is written in english, but comments are in norwegian.

Current status

  • I'm pretty horrid at most of the gymnastic movements, and am taking things rather slow for the moment. Lower-back strength, elbow strength and flexibility seems to be the main limiting factors, and leg-strength is abysmal.
    Pull Ups is the only exercise where I have a decent starting point, with a max rep of 25 Dead Hang Pull Ups, and a 1RM of about 55% of my bodyweight. The only running distance I've recently tested myself on was 3000m (1.864miles), where I clocked in at 10:28.

Goals

  • While there are several bodyweight skills I'd like to master, I wish to attain a good general foundation, and from what I'm reading static exercises is the way to go. Also, I don't believe I'm ready for even a scaled down version of the WOD yet. I do have a set of rings, but haven't really started utilizing them yet.
    While my current training regime does have a resemblance of a plan behind it, I vary it up alot. However, I'd very much like to hear if there are vital exercises that should be added/removed/changed, or if the whole thing simply needs a complete overhaul.

Short version

  • Aloha! Fresh recruit here in for the long haul, feedback and input is greatly appreciated!

Ominous

Wednesday 25. May 2011

Baseline

  • 60sec Plank
    60sec Reverse Plank
    3x5sec - Straddle Elbow Lever
    60sec Hollow Hold
    4x10sec - Arch Hold
    60sec Parallel Bar Support
    30sec Dead Hang Chin Ups Hold

Strength / Skill development

1 min breaks between sets

  • 4 x 3 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    2 x 1 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand assisting with middle finger
    1 x 4

2 x 4 Front Pulls - Straddle
3 x 10sec - Back Lever - Tucked
2 x 11sec - L-sit - Parallel Bar Support
2 x 10sec - L-sit - Straddle - Parallel Bar Support

Result

  • Focus on getting OAC slow and controlled, stopping Front Pulls at the top of the movement, aswell as pushing the legs as high up as possible while doing straddle L-sit.

Ominous

Thursday 26. May 2011

Baseline

Dynamic flexibility - All exercises - 1x10

Strength / Skill development

1 min breaks between sets

  • 3 x 1 (Press to Headstand to Handstand + Negative Handstand press) - Back Against Wall
    2 x 3 Headstand Press to Headstand - Freestanding
    4 x 1 (Wall Walk + Negative Headstand Push Up)
    2 x 4 Headstand Push Ups - Short ROM/Back Against Wall
    1 x 6 Pike Push Ups - Feet Elevated so hip makes 90° angle

Ominous

Friday 27. May 2011

Endurance

  • 1 hour - Indoor volleyball

Baseline
  • 60sec Plank
    60sec Reverse Plank
    60sec Hollow Hold
    6 x 10sec - Arch Hold
    60sec PB Support
    60sec Dead Hang

Strength / Skill development

1 min breaks between sets

  • 6 x 5 sec - Tucked Planche
    3 x 6
Push Ups - Maltese
2 x 6 Push Ups - Hands 90° & close to hips
2 x 7 Push Ups - On fingertips
4 x 15sec - Pseudo Planche Hold

Result

  • First two Tucked Planche holds were done on dumbells, last four with hands 90°, due pain in elbow when relaxing from the hold.

Jaylene Deane

Hey Ominous welcome to the forum!

It's always exciting to see another noob like myself, especially one that seems to be here for the long haul! I was reading through your log and although I've only been training seriously for a month or so, thought I'd offer my opinion for your consideration, me being a noob also. Dude, I cannot emphasise enough, start with the WoDs. I know they seem too much, but they can be scaled to the most ridiculously easy variations and you will make a huge amount of progress. Coach knows what he's on about. At the start its a struggle (well, it was for me) but I didn't make any progress, basically sat spinning my wheels, until I bit the bullet and put up. Your starting strength is much better than mine, so I think you would be amazed at what you will acheive with the WoDs. I am, and I'm not even through the first cycle yet!

I understand totally if you really don't think you can do them, but just thought I'd give you a heads up with my experiences, as limited as it is! :D

Ominous

Thanks for the comment Jaylene! I've been reading up on the WODs for the last few hours, given it serious thought, and I've decided that I'll incorperate them into the workout sooner than planned. The only thing that is keeping me from doing so right away is that the split I'm doing at the moment is just too much fun :P

Saturday 28. May 2011

Baseline

Dynamic flexibility - 2x12 - All Exercises

Strength / Skill development

  • Light experimenting with
Human Flag
2 x   6sec - Elbow Lever - Straddle
1 x 14sec - Elbow Lever - Bad form
22sec, 26sec - Elbow Lever - Straddle - Half-decent form
12sec, 25sec, 33sec - PB L-sit
10sec, 10sec, 20sec - Angled Bridges

Result

  • First time attempting Human Flag progressions. Didn't go as bad as expected, so I think I'll add some training for that into the corestrength-days. Weakpoint seems to be the bottom arm that is doing the pressing.

Ominous

Sunday 29. May 2011

Baseline

  • 60sec Plank
    60sec Reverse Plank
    60sec Hollow Hold
    4x15sec - Arch Hold
    60sec Parallel Bar Support
    30sec Dead Hang

Strength / Skill development

1 min breaks between sets

  • 4 x 3 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    3 x 4 Front Pulls - Straddle
    3 x 15sec - Back Lever - Flat tuck
    2 x (10sec German Hang + 7 Pull Ups)
    2 x 1 Negative Pull Ups - 30sec used on descent

Durability

  • Wrist curls, light stretch

Result
  • My form must be way off on Flat Tuck Back Lever, because I don't really get tired anywhere from it, except for a "stretch"-feeling in the arms, and Straddle Back Lever seems to be a no-go. I'm having rapid progression towards OAP though, never really trained Pull Ups with the Chin grip before.

Ominous

Monday 30. May 2011

Baseline

Dynamic flexibility - All exercises - 3x10

Stamina / Skill development

2 min breaks between sets

  • 1 x 10sec - Wall Runs - Bad form
    4 x 40sec - Wall HS

Durability

  • +-10 000m - 45:00 - Medium to Hard tempo - (4:30min/km)

Result
  • Hearing "Tornado Warning, Take Shelter Immediately" together with sirens a bit past the half-way mark apparently does wonders for your run-times. Who would've known? Also, a scared/angry rottweiler suddenly rammed my side during the run, so I had to do an improvised forward roll on the asphalt. Left wrist seems a bit messed up after the impact, I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Jaylene Deane
Hearing "Tornado Warning, Take Shelter Immediately" together with sirens a bit past the half-way mark apparently does wonders for your run-times

:shock:

Wow. Hearing stuff like that make me glad I live in Tasmania. In this part of the world, our sky stays where it belongs.... How you doing? Everything okay?

Ominous

Yeah, I'm fine. It was one of the more amusing runs I've had in a while :P

Wednesday 1. Juni 2011

Strength / Skill development

  • 4 x 3 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    3 x 12sec - PB L-sit - Feet spread
    3 x 12sec - PB L-sit

Durability

3 rounds - No breaks;

  • 30sec Plank
    30sec Arch Hold
    30sec Reverse Plank
    30sec Hollow Hold
    2min Ankle Stability exercises

Result

  • Left wrist is still a bit weird, so I just did some mild maintenance today. All OAP-progressions were done with right hand as main hand.

Ominous

Thursday 2. June 2011

Work Capacity / Endurance

  • 40 minutes -
- Light dumbells (6kg) - Group workout

Ominous

Friday 3. June 2011

Endurance

  • 2 hours - Outdoor volleyball

Result
  • Just enjoying the summer today =)

Ominous

Sunday 5. June 2011

Endurance

  • 20-25min - Open Water Swimming - Breaststroke - Easy tempo

Baseline
Dynamic flexibility - 2x10 All Exercises

Strength / Skill development

  • 6 x 3-6sec - Human Flag - Various progressions
    15sec, 20sec - Elbow Lever - Straddle - Half-decent form
    3 x 30sec - L-sit - Hands flat
    2 x 4 Headstand Press to Headstand - Straddle - Back against Wall

Ominous

Monday 6. June 2011

Baseline

  • 60sec Plank
    4 x 15sec - Arch Hold
    60sec Hollow Hold
    60sec Reverse Plank

Strength / Skill development

  • 4 x 7 sec - Tucked Planche
    10sec - Elbow Lever - Straddle
    2 x 5 Push Ups - Maltese
    2 x 5 Push Ups - Hands 90°
    2 x 6 Push Ups - On fingertips
    3 x 20sec - Pseudo Planche Hold
    2 x 8 Wrist Push Ups - On knees

Result

  • Focus on form on all exercises, with slow and controlled execution. Also, I've experienced pain caused by the
Ulnar Nerve previously while doing Tucked Planche, so I put my hands flat on the floor instead of on dumbells this time, and it worked fine. I'll start working on my hand strength with Rice Bucket-training and Gyrotwisters regardless.

Ominous

Monday 6. June 2011

Endurance / Work Capacity

  • +-4000m running - 15:30 - Hard tempo (3:52min/km)

Ominous

Tuesday 7. June 2011

Strength / Skill development

  • 2 x 3 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    2 x 2 Negative One Armed Chin Ups
    3 x 4 Front Pulls - One Leg tucked
    3 x 1 Negative Back Lever - One Leg Tucked
    1 x 8
- Similar to first exercise, just straight up, higher and with proper form
2 x 8 Pull Ups - Open hands
2 x 30sec - PB L-sit
1 x 90sec - Dead Hang
3 x 15sec -
- 27kg
Various wrist curls and circles

Endurance / Work Capacity

5 rounds, no break between rounds

  • 600m run        - Medium tempo
    200m sprint    - Hard tempo
    200m walk      - Medium tempo

Then, with no break;

  • 8 min stepmachine - Light to Medium tempo
    10 min cycling - 4400m - Light to Medium tempo

Durability

  • Light stretch

Result
  • Used about 44min in total on Work Capacity / Endurance.

Ominous

Wednesday 8. June 2011

Work Capacity / Endurance - Modified Spartacus

Group workout. 3 rounds, 2 minute breaks between rounds. 1 minute max effort each set. 15 sec break between sets.

The goal of each set is to complete as many reps as possible while keeping good form.

  • 1.

2. Mountain Climbers
3.

4. Frog Stand
5.

6.

7.

8. One Arm, One Leg Hold - Similar to the video, just from Push Up position and without ball
9. Supine Windshield Wipers
10.

Ominous

Thursday 9. June 2011

Strength

  • 1 x 5 Bench Press - 60kg
    3 x 4 Bench Press - 70kg
    3 x 6 Incline Press - 20kg Dumbbells
    2 x 8 Dips
    1 x 12 Scapular Dips

Result

  • Just felt like doing something slightly different than usual today.

Ominous

Friday 10. June 2011

Endurance

  • 1 hour - Indoor Volleyball

Strength / Skill development
  • 6 x 1 One Armed Chin Up - Negatives
    2 x 3 One Armed Chin Up - Progression - Off-hand on towel
    2 x 4 Front Pulls - Straddle
    2 x 8 Front Lever Rows - Flat Tuck
    2 x 8 Side-to-side Pull Ups

Work Capacity / Endurance

  • 3 x 200m Sprints - (200m jog between sets)
    10min Cycling - 5000m - Medium Effort

Result

  • Improved technique slightly on OAP-Negatives today. Now I'm using 3-4 seconds on lowering down from top to bottom position. I'm also noticing an improvement on Straddle Front Pulls.

Ominous

Saturday 11. June 2011

Endurance

  • 1 hour football - As keeper

Strength / Skill development
  • 5 x 2-4sec - Human Flag - Various progressions
    2 x 10sec - Elbow Lever - Straddle

Work Capacity

4 rounds. 1 min break between rounds. No break between exercises.

  • 10sec - Floor L-sit
    20 Fist Push Ups
    30sec - Plank
    8 V-ups - Straddle

Ominous

Sunday 12. June 2011

Endurance

  • 1,5 hours - Indoor volleyball

Skill development
  • Light work on freestanding handstand

Ominous

Monday 13. June 2011

Strength / Skill development

  • 2 x 1 One Armed Chin Up - Negatives
    4 x 2 One Armed Chin Up - Progression - Off-hand on towel
    1 x 1 Back Lever - Negative - Straddle
    1 x 1 Back Lever - Negative - Tucked Straddle
    2 x 4 Front Pulls - Straddle
    5 x 4 Various Pull Up types
    3 x 10sec - Static Weighted Back Extension - 30kg
    Various Wrist Curls

Endurance

  • 1,5 hours - Indoor Volleyball

Ominous

Tuesday 14. June 2011

Work Capacity

6 rounds. No break between exercises or rounds

  • 150m Sprint
    15 Push Ups
    150m Jog
    200m Walk

Result

  • Wrist is still a bit messed up, so I'm mostly doing alternative training.

Ominous

Thursday 16. June 2011

Endurance

  • 1 hour - Indoor volleyball

Friday 17. June 2011

Endurance
  • 1 hour - Indoor volleyball

Strength / Skill development

  • 4 x 3 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    1 x 1 Negative Straddle Back Lever
    1 x 1 Negative Tucked Straddle Back Lever
    3 x 4 Front Pulls - Tucked Straddle
    3 x 10sec - Front Lever - Flat Tuck
    3 x 15sec - PB L-sit
    2 x 10 Pull Ups - Various Pull Up types
    3 x 10sec - Static Weighted Back Extension - 30kg
    Light work on PB hold

Ominous

Sunday 19. June 2011

Endurance

  • 1 hour - Indoor volleyball

Strength
4 rounds, no breaks between rounds or exercises
  • 2 x 2 One Armed Chin Up Progression - Off-hand on towel
    5 box jumps
    400m jog