Training for doing planches.

Started by Faraz Ahmed, May 18, 2011 · 6 Replies · 5,902 Views

Faraz Ahmed

Hi,

I have recently been doing some planche training. and want to be able to do a full planche and handstand in the future.

At present, I can only do frog stand now for more than 60 seconds.

But when I try to do the advanced frog stand, I cant keep my hands straight.

Now, I read somewhere in this forum, where the coach recommends some pressing movement to develop strength.

So, what I am doing now, is doing some pseudo planche pushups everyday with my legs in an elevated position.

I start with my hands a little behind my shoulders and do a few pushups and then I keep moving my hands towards

the waist after every few pushups.

And when my hands are almost near my waist, it gets difficult to do even one pushup.

I also do the L sits on a chair, with my knees straight for about 30 secs.

I can also do the front lever tuck for about 30 secs and can even manage one or 2 pullups in that position.

I am telling you all this to give you an idea of my present strength level ( which is quite low actually)

and so that you can help me with designing a program which helps my progress with planche

I do all these things for 3 days a week.

Now, I am not sure if this is the correct program for me or if I should do this everyday or if 3 days a week is enough.

So, please help me out with designing a program which improves my strength levels and enable

me to do planches and handstands.

Thanks,

Faraz

Faraz Ahmed

Guys please help me out with this.

I am sure you people have enough knowledge to answer these questions.

Joshua Naterman

Search for the pre-requisites and follow those. Also, planche leans help a lot. So does patience, you will spend a few years developing a planche.

Edit: Also search for "elbow preparation for iron cross" which should bring you to Coach's series for that. Follow it to the letter. What works for cross also helps for planche, as both require biceps tendon conditioning.

Faraz Ahmed

Okay thanks.

Will do what you recommend.

Leandro

I don't want to be dull or what. But as an intense reader of this forum I can say that one main principle of coach sommer is that gymnastics is not a buffet, where you can pick whatever you want and train for it (I was like that too).

Your training should be overall and balanced. Even if this way takes longer to get a planche, it will allow you to get other cool stuff and be less propense to injury.

Faraz Ahmed
Leandro said:
I don't want to be dull or what. But as an intense reader of this forum I can say that one main principle of coach sommer is that gymnastics is not a buffet, where you can pick whatever you want and train for it (I was like that too).

Your training should be overall and balanced. Even if this way takes longer to get a planche, it will allow you to get other cool stuff and be less propense to injury.

Hmm,

So what would you advise me to do ?

Michael Miskelly
So what would you advise me to do ?

I think what Leandro is getting at is to think about including the other FSP's from the book too. Each one of these will prepare your body in different ways and keep injuries at bay, they will also take some of your focus off the planche and keep you from getting frustrated at how long it can take to achieve this skill. I think I recall that a full Back lever was recommended before plache training because of the bicep and back strength this builds, not to mention how good it is for conditioning the biceps. I think I remember reading somewhere about front lever work and planche work working well together but cant remember the reason, probably something to do with one being a pull intensive hold and the other push, yet both work on straight body strength.

As slizz recommended do lots of reading on pre-requisites and previous posts on this, the forum search function will help you here so get familiar on how to use it rather than trawling through pages and pages yourself.