Dear all,
I am collecting info for a friend of mine who is quite overweight but who really likes my rings/pull up bar setup and wants to start following Coach Sommer's programs (and who wouldn't). Because he's a man, and I am not, and because he starts off overweight, and I wasn't, I have trouble saying something useful and relevant to him. I don't want to just express beliefs, as these can be very different from first-hand experience.
Could the gentlemen on this forum please post their experiences of beginning gymnastics training for an overweight guy.
He is about 5'9", 240lbs, 31 yo. He doesn't seem to have great strength, just a normal guy. He can do about 10 ok pushups, but can't do a pull up/chin up at all.
I would appreciate if you describe which exercises you started with, how overweight were you, how much did you practice daily, which progressions worked for you, and what, if any, equipment you had at your disposal.
Thank you.