Please help. GOING BACKWARDS.

Started by Calder Photography, May 12, 2011 · 8 Replies · 2,927 Views

Calder Photography

Hi Guys!

I've posted a lot over the past couple of months about training properly and making sure I'm doing the right thing.

I've definitely hit a brick wall. when I started training, I started with a fairly solid strength base. I started straight away with

Frog stand, tuck bl, tuck fl, straddle l, and PB L-sit. I now feel like this was a mistake.

After my first ssc, I made some great gains, I could hold Tuck planche for 30 or so seconds, along with a 30 second pb-l-sit, 20 second flat tuck fl and can now do 15 sec flat tuck bl too.

But the thing is, I feel like I'm hitting a plateau. My 3rd testing saw me going backwards and from what I'd learnt trying to achieve a 60 sec FLOOR L-sit became my primary goal. I've been doing this program for the past 12 weeks-

6 x 10 sec L from floor

6 x 10 sec tuck planche from floor

6 x 10 tuck front lever

6 x 10 tuck back lever (some days I did 6 x 10 flat tuck.

I've been off sick for a week and tested my max yesterday. I've definitely gone backwards. I struggled to hold the floor L-sit for even 10 SECONDS! this is extremely deflating and frustrating.

I'm looking for advice, I think my best bet might be to go back to the very beginning and start properly, here are my thoughts-

60 sec plank ( I'll be doing 2x30)

60 sec reverse plank (start with 2x30)

60 sec arch hold (2x30)

60 sec hollow hold (2 x 30)

60 sec support hold (2 x 30)

60 sec dead hang (2 x 30)

60 sec handstand (2x30 sec wall)

What do you guys think? I don't really want to stop work on my l-sit. I've been told its very important to do it from the ground, so do you think it's okay to do 5-7 second sets e.g. 11 sets of 5 seconds? or should I go back to PB l-sit? (4 x 15 sec holds).

I'm sorry to keep bothering everyone about my training, I'm just a little lost and need all the help I can get.

Thanks so much,

Tom.

Blairbob

Have you kept track of your sleep, eating, and hydration?

You're gonna be weaker after being sick for a week. Train for 2 or 3 and then test.

Cole Dano

Progress, in my experience is rarely completely linear.

Especially after an illness things will temporarily go down.

Also keep in mind that you have been doing this type of work for twelve weeks. I realize that may seem like a long time to you, but for most of us that's a drop in the bucket.

Think in blocks of months, quarters, years and then you will start to see the progress.

AlexX
Mr Brady said:
Progress, in my experience is rarely completely linear.

Especially after an illness things will temporarily go down.

Also keep in mind that you have been doing this type of work for twelve weeks. I realize that may seem like a long time to you, but for most of us that's a drop in the bucket.

Think in blocks of months, quarters, years and then you will start to see the progress.

These are words of wisdom that people with lower experience/training age rarely seem to grasp.

One bad cycle isn't something to stress over. When you haven't made any progress in multiple cycles then it's time to restructure training (given that everything else is in order like nutrition, sleep, and injuries).

Calder Photography

So you guys are saying I shouldn't re-structure at all?

I'm still sick so decided to take a few more days off until I fully recover.

I'm concerned that I was doing too much too fast is all, I don't want to hinder my progress at all. do you think I should continue down the path I was? or start from the beginning again?

Tom.

Calder Photography

I'm also curious about my L-sit work.

If I can only manage a 10 second MAX hold from the floor. Should I work 5 second sets? Or should I go back to paralette's (In my case chairs)?

Once I get over this sickness I'm going to re-test, moving forward with these statics-

ADV. Frog stand (I skipped this in the first place, now I'm going back to make sure my foundation is solid. I can do tuck planche, but my max is going down from ssc to ssc)

Tuck Lever

Tuck Back Lever

Straddle L

L-sit (pb or floor)

Additionally, I'll be doing-

30 sec hollow hold

30 sec arch hold

30 sec plank

30 sec reverse plank

30 sec dead hang

and some additional handstand work as well as the WOD.

What do you guys think?

Tom.

Joshua Naterman

If it turns out that your L sit on floor is under 20s I think you should consider doing 1/2 max holds 1-2 days per week, twice per week if your ma is 15-20s and only once if it is more like 10s. The other two days I would go back to the chairs. That should allow you to make better progress. I would do the same with any other hold.

Like the others have said, when you get sick it takes some time to get your strength back. Let it come, don't freak out!

Ryan Verma

Red,

Thanks for asking this question. I just finished a SSC myself and I thought I was going backwards. However, I think it was a combination of improper documentation and calculation of prior hold times and being sick the week before my strength test before the succeeding SSC.

Calder Photography

Hey Slizz,

Thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely be taking it on board!

So as for testing, should I ease back into it for a week or two then test? as I'm coming back from sickness?

Thanks again!

Tom.