This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lew's Log

Started by LaughingTiger, May 3, 2011 · 120 Replies · 8,279 Views

EastWind

I thought it was you in the movies you posted. In this case, wish you got as strong at that guy. :)

LaughingTiger

Even though this log is long, I didn't do too much on my birthday. At work, I was feeling a little tired. I spent most of the evening enjoying pizza with the family.

Office

I decided to test my ability to do a tuck planche. My pressing strength has definitely improved, but I still can't lift off the ground. I can move so that my legs easily move forward and back along the ground, but I can't get my hips to lift up yet. Instead of being disappointed, I was happy that I was closer to my goal.

I did two rounds of handstand wall runs with the assistance of my cabinet. I only did 5 taps on each side during the first round. I can't remember how many taps I did during the second round. I was surprised that I felt kind of tired while I did these. I didn't work out before I left the house that morning. I thought about the fact that I played with the shake weight the night before and wondered if it was the cause of my fatigue. Maybe my tuck planche attempt helped too...

Home

I arrived home before my wife and daughter and thought about doing a quick workout before we started celebrating my birthday. Since I wasn't sure how much time I had, I decided to wait and workout later. I used the time to watch the dvd that came with the shake weight.

I got a couple of laughs out of watching the 6 min and advanced workouts. At first I felt sorry for the guy doing the demonstration, but then thought about the fact that he probably was paid a nice amount of money. My opinion of the device hasn't changed. I think it's useful, you just look silly while using it.

Later in the evening, I picked up the shake weight. I thought I'd get in a quick workout while no one was around. My wife comes into the room while I'm shaking and we both have a good laugh. :oops:

I decided to try out my weight vest. Just putting it on brought back a lot of memories. I used to wear it all the time, whether I was working out or not. I remember I used to get all sorts of comments from my neighbors while cutting the grass. They thought I was wearing a bulletproof vest.

I knew I didn't have enough time to do a normal workout. So I decided to just see how certain movements felt while wearing the vest.

Using the ladder, I did 5 reps of HeSPUs. They weren't full range of motion, but were pretty good. It was a little harder to get on and off of the ladder, but the exercise wasn't much more difficult than without the vest. With maybe about 30 secs of rest I tried chin ups next.

I easily did 2 reps and then came down. Other than the pockets of the vest scratching my arms, I didn't have any trouble doing the exercise. When I tried to do 2 more reps, it was more difficult. I did 3 more reps with a 20-30 sec break between each rep.

Next I decided to play on the rings. I pushed myself into support position and made sure my arms weren't on the straps. I shook a little, but was able to hold myself up. I thought about doing a tucked 360 pull next. However I did the following combination instead. I pulled myself to inverted hang; Lowered my legs into an L; Went back into inverted hang and then lowered into a tucked back lever. I could definitely feel that I was heavier, but everything was so effortless! I tried to go from a tucked back lever to a full back lever. Once my legs were extended, my feet came crashing down on the mat.

I knew my not holding the full back lever was not because I was wearing the vest, it's because I'm not able to hold one yet. I was satisfied that I'd be able to do some useful training with the vest and decided to call it a night.

Quick Start Test Smith

Happy Birthday! 8)

Haha! Shake weights are so... I'm embarrassed to be anywhere near one in the store! I could never make myself buy one unless it was online... :D

LaughingTiger
Patrick Smith said:
Happy Birthday! 8)

Haha! Shake weights are so... I'm embarrassed to be anywhere near one in the store! I could never make myself buy one unless it was online... :D

Thanks Patrick, it was a great birthday. I received more presents from my wife, but they were things I wouldn't be embarassed to use in public.

I'm glad my wife has such a great sense of humor and bought the shake weight for me. I had plans to try make it less embarassing by putting heavier plates on it, but my wife didn't want me to break it when she had just bought it.

I don't think I'll include it in my regular posts, but I do use the device everyday now.

LaughingTiger

Yesterday, I did less work than I had planned, but I'm not too disappointed.

Home

Before I left the house, I put on the weight vest. I did a few chin ups and inverted hang :arrow: upside down L :arrow: inverted hang :arrow: tucked back lever.

Weight vest still felt good and I was happy to have started my day that way.

Office

Using my cabinet for support, I spent time in angled handstands. For the first couple of sets, I decided I wouldn't keep track of time. I just got into position, made sure my back wasn't arched and I just breathed until I was ready to come down.

For the next few sets, I got into position and did a slight bounce. I would stop at 30 and come out of the position. I could stay up longer, but wanted to see if I could consistently hit 30 throughout the day.

For a brief moment, I did something that slightly resembled cast wall walks.

Home

After work I was very busy and just spent a minute or two with the shake weight.

LaughingTiger

My evenings have been really busy this week. I'm glad that I still am doing something, but hope to do more soon.

Office

Using my cabinet for support, I spent time in handstands. I only did 2 or 3 sets. I spent some of the time just holding position; I spent some of the time doing slight bounces; I spent some of the time with only one leg on the cabinet while the other was extended straight in the air.

It's getting easy to do multiple 30+ second sets. I'll continue these as I'm finding it to be a useful to do when I have quiet time in the office.

Home

At home, I spent time taking pictures of my youngest son and soon to be 3 yr old daughter playing on the bar and rings. I decided the current location isn't so bad for doing pictures/videos for the log. I just need to get a better source of light so the pictures/video turn out better.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448

After reading the topic above on the forums, I did some tuck planche leans with bent arm work mixed in. I'd hold the lean with straight arms for no set amount of time and then I'd do 5 or so push ups in that same position. I did this for a couple of minutes.

I could see how the lean causes you to lift off the ground. However, I knew I wasn't ready to support that weight on just my arms yet. I'll do a mix of regular and tucked planche leans along with the push ups and know that in time I'll be able to lean and support myself.

LaughingTiger

Yesterday evening, I spent some time doing wall handstands and planche leans.

This was probably the first time I'd done a handstand where my feet weren't on top of a cabinet or ladder in a while. I was pleased that it didn't take much effort to kick into the handstand. I'm able to handle my weight a lot better now. I noticed that I had an arch in my back, but it was easy to correct once I was aware of it. I plan to do a mix of wall handstands as well as cabinet/ladder supported handstands. This should allow me to do a nice volume of work, without wearing myself out.

I spent time in planche leans with my feet on the floor and elevated on a stool. I felt more tension when I did them with my feet on the stool. On the stool I wasn't ready to try a pseudo planche push up. It seems like my hands are back pretty far, but they haven't reached my waist yet. For now, I'll follow advice I've read here and elsewhere and not try to rush extend the lean.

I hope to do some pulls again soon. It had become very easy to get my chest to the bar while doing chin ups, I don't want to lose that strength. Hopefully I'll find a few minutes to do some this weekend.

LaughingTiger

On the 24th, I celebrated my wedding anniversary. I haven't done much work this weekend, but I've found time here and there to do a little work.

Friday

UulJu73FS9U

I saw this video by Mr. Sarabia a while ago, and decided to try it out. The only difference is I did it without the bosu ball. I'd do 20-30 bounces and then 5 reps of pseudo planche pushups. It was fun and challenging. I did 3 rounds of this exercise.

Saturday

My wife, oldest son and I did a mini ropes course today. I was too chicken to get onto the giant swing, but was able to travel along some ropes and hit the zip line. It was lots of fun. Below are a couple of clips. :)

nMLmzaqogRY

2NcusDO0Bs4

LaughingTiger

Yesterday's activity was pretty light. I wanted to try a few things on my rings, but I have to figure out how I will be able. I want to start working on rolls and start focusing more on achieving a muscle up. The muscle up work shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I don't really have a lot of room for rolls with my rings hanging from the door frame pull up bar.

I did planche lean bounces mixed with pseudo planche push ups. I did chest to the bar chin ups. I tried out various things using the shake weight.

The activity was fun, but I'm really curious to see if I can transition from support to inverted hang and other types of moves on the rings. I have two giant trees in my back yard but they won't really be useful for this type of work. Guess I'll have to put some serious thought into taking my rings to the playground.

LaughingTiger

Tuesday was a much better workout day than Monday. I did a little bit of research and learned that I can train some if not all of my forward roll with my rings hanging from the door frame pull up bar.

Office

In the office, I had a little bit of work to do, but managed to find time to play around. Standing in front of a chair, I placed my hands on the arms of the chair and jumped. As I jumped, I would press down on the chair and try to pull my lower body up. I wasn't trying to get into a handstand. With each jump I wanted my feet to get to the same height as my hands. On the way down I'd try to tense in order to keep myself up longer.

Home

sVqdbQ4B-uA

I saw this video on youtube and it gave me some ideas on how I could train to achieve a forward roll. After testing to see how far I could progress in the roll, I have determined that I need to work more on ring dips. While in support, I can raise my legs towards my chest and lean forward but I don't have the strength to roll forward under control.

I played with the lean for a while and then moved on to the chin up/dip combo exercise. It had been a while since I've done these. Not sure why I stopped doing this exercise as it is a lot of fun and seems beneficial. I know that OACs are in the distant future, because my pushing arm is doing more work than the pulling arm.

My plan for the next few days, is to work more on ring dips; Do a weighted version of the chin up/dip combo exercise; Continue doing planche lean bounces w/pseudo planche push ups. This should be fun, challenging, but still leave me feeling full of energy.

LaughingTiger

While sitting in the office, I came across more videos that I thought were pretty cool. One video was on one arm push ups, another video contained some nice info on how to develop the ability to do pistols. I also watched a few bar-barian videos from different countries.

I couldn't implement the tips for the pistols in the office, but I could work on the push ups. In the beginning I just did alternating staggered push ups. Then I changed it so that I only used the finger tips of the hand that was closest to my body. I was pleased that I could still do a staggered push up when only one hand was flat on the ground at a time. I tried lifting the finger tip hand off the ground, but my body told me I wasn't ready yet.

Next I thought about the bar-barian videos. At the moment, I can't do all of that crazy stuff on pull up or parallel bars yet, but I can do a lot of different kinds of push ups. I did a few rounds that consisted of multiple types of push ups per round. I usually only did one or two reps per push up before immediately moving to the next type of push up.

Original circuit: alternating staggered push ups > planche lean bounces > pseudo planche push ups

Modified it to: lateral push up > alternating staggered push ups > planche lean bounces > pseudo planche push ups

Final circuit: lateral push up > alternating staggered push ups > rocking planche leans > repeat previous moves a few times > planche lean bounces >pseudo planche push ups > planche lean bounces >pseudo planche push ups

This was fun. I was glad that I could easily transition from one push up to the next without needing a break. For now I'll continue doing these circuits, with a low rep count low of 1 -3 reps. I found that doing pseudo planche push ups meant the end of the circuit, so I'd decided I would only do those when I was finished doing everything else.

My upper body and core feel really nice and energized, I don't feel sore at all. I should still be able to do ring dips and the chin up/dip combo exercise when I get home later. I'll also try out the the single leg squat tips I saw and see if I can achieve an assisted pistol.

LaughingTiger

After a long evening, I was finally able to put on the weight vest and do some exercise. I knew the extra 20 lbs would make the exercises harder but I didn't know how much harder.

On the rings, I pushed myself to support and then would turn out the rings. I'd hold myself there for a few secs, turn the rings in and come down. It was definitely more difficult than doing it without the vest, but wasn't too bad. I'll continue to do this until I feel light while wearing the vest.

Initially, the vest made a BIG impact on my ability to do the chin up/dip combo exercise. I wasn't able to get a complete rep on each side on my first try. After resting for a few minutes, I managed to complete a rep on both sides. It was really a struggle, and I thought about removing 10 lbs from the vest. I'd test it one more time and if it was still too hard, I'd remove the weight. :(

I decided to grip both the bar and ring very tightly and tried it again. Having a better grip, made it a lot easier for the pushing arm to assist in moving me up. I not only got my chin over the bar, but paused there for a while. I got the same result when I switched to the other side! :) It certainly feels like the pushing arm is doing more work than the pulling arm now. I may have to change the name of this exercise to assisted one armed dips...

I think for a week or two, I'm just going to exercise to increase strength and endurance. I won't try to test tuck planche, muscle up, or forward roll during this time. I say that now but will I stick to it? :roll: I am certain of one thing, I'll be stronger at the end of those two weeks than I am now. :)

LaughingTiger

I was a little sore when I woke up this morning. I was surprised, happy and curious because of this. :? I wanted to put on the weight vest and exercise a little before I went to work, but it took my wife and I a long time to get the kids ready to leave the house. By the time I walked the .5 miles from the parking garage to my office, I was very hungry and not sore anymore.

Office

After breakfast, I started playing around with my push up circuit. My shoulders and elbows really didn't like the order of some of the push ups from yesterday, so after some rest I made some changes. This version is a lot easier on my body and it is easier to repeat this circuit with less breaks.

new circuit: staggered push ups > lateral push ups > pseudo planche push ups > go back to staggered push ups if able > rocking planche leans or planche lean bounces

I like this circuit a lot more than yesterday's. I decided I wouldn't alternate lead hands as I did the staggered push ups anymore. I'd do my target reps with one hand in the lead and then switch to the other, instead of alternating hands after each rep.

So a round of today's circuit might look like this:

2 X staggered push ups (left hand in the lead position) > 2 X staggered push ups (right hand in the lead position) > 1 lateral push up > 2 pseudo planche push ups> 1 X staggered push ups (left hand in the lead position) > 1 X staggered push ups (right hand in the lead position) > 1 lateral push up > 1 pseudo planche push ups > 20 x rocking planche leans (Any tips on how to make this easier to read?) :?:

For now I'll limit myself to no more than 3 reps per push up until I can consistently do this circuit 3 times without a break. Don't know how long this will take. I can do more than 1 rep of lateral push ups when they are done alone, but not so easy to do more than one as a part of the circuit.

LaughingTiger

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/lateral-push

The link above, is where I discovered the move I call lateral push ups. However, after searching for similar videos, it seems that many other people define a lateral push up as something else.

No matter the name, I've determined that I currently can't do a high volume of this exercise. In the past I only did a few of these a day and it was fine. Adding these to my push up circuit has greatly increased the number of these I do per day.

Since I don't want to injure my shoulders or elbows, I've decided to remove the lateral push up from the circuit. I'll just do one or two at the end of the day after I've done everything else.

LaughingTiger

Home

I found time last night and this morning, to put on the weight vest and play with the chin up/dip combo exercise. I can do one rep on each side without a break. Sometimes I can do two reps without a break if I'm really motivated.

I thought about lowering the weight in the vest so that I could do more reps, but decided against it. Even if it's only once or twice a day, I'll do those two reps and spend some time in support while wearing the vest. I'll probably also spend time in inverted hang but won't do any tucked 360 pulls while wearing the vest for now.

Office

During a break this morning, I decided on the push up circuit that I would do today.

staggered push ups > lateral leans > pseudo planche push ups > repeat if able

Lateral leans, are done from a push up/plank position. You lean so that most of your weight will be over one arm and then lean in the opposite direction so your weight will be over the other. This still puts some tension on my shoulders, but is nice and kind to my elbows. :)

I haven't done any inverted pushing in a while, so I plan to spend some time doing handstand work today as well.

LaughingTiger

Had a busy evening once I arrived home. Two out of three of the kids wanted to be outside and were joined by a nephew, so I spent most of the evening with them.

After all of that, I decided to just have some fun. I put on the weight vest and tried out a few exercises.

First I did the push up circuit. It wasn't bad. If I don't do the circuit too many times in the office, I can see myself doing a weighted version of it at home.

Next was supposed to be the chin up/dip combo exercise, but I decided to do circles on my pull up bar instead. I was shocked that I was able to slowly do a circle with my left hand as the lead hand. Once I completed the circle, I knew I'd have to rest before doing a circle with the right hand in the lead. After 30 secs I attempted the second circle and had to stop.

I left the area and was going to call it a night. As I was about to open the vest I changed my mind and gave it another shot. I returned to the pull up bar and was able to complete that circle with the right hand as the lead.

I think I can manage doing most of my exercises at home now, while wearing the weighted vest. If I can move more than my weight, it should make moving my normal weight easier, right? I don't think that's true for everything and have seriously thought about getting some bands to assist me.

I probably won't make a purchase for a while. If I'm still struggling with certain things by mid July, I think I'll seek some band aid then. :lol:

LaughingTiger

I took it easy the past few days. I haven't put on the weight vest in a few days and haven't done the push up circuit. I've done the chin up/dip combo exercise and used the shake weight. I tried to do a partial rep version of the combo exercise, but didn't really find it worth the effort. I started doing a jumping version of the combo exercise and found it to be interesting.

Sometimes I'd jump into the move and come right back down. Other times, I'd jump into the move and just hang out at the top for a while. The difficulty of the move is much lower with the assist I receive from jumping. It's allowed me to do sets of 5 reps per side very easily.

I think I'll purchase a band or two sooner vs later. There are a few things I really want to try and will use the bands to scale the exercises so I can do them now.

LaughingTiger

Last night and this morning, I did a little exercise. Much of it was just playing with ideas to see if they'd be of use to me.

Yesterday, I was spending time with the kids, but didn't want the evening to end without some kind of exercise being done. So I decided to do a tucked 360 pull every time I went near the rings.

Later, I thought about the jumping version of the chin up/dip exercise. I wanted to do it without jumping but where I still didn't have to support all of my weight. I got the idea to do a low bounce on the mattress pad that's below my equipment. After a few bounces, I decided that this was no good. I wasn't getting enough extension on the pushing arm.

The idea wasn't bad, only the exercise I had originally chosen. I decided to do low bounces for partial reps for different exercises. Those exercises were OACs, ring dips, and pull ups were the bar was behind my back. I was careful and did not bounce too high, and made sure that I was pushing or pulling to get great use out of the momentum of the bounce. I'd do the moves in a circuit spending 30-60 secs per exercise before moving onto the next.

I definitely see the bounces as being beneficial, but wouldn't do this type of work exclusively. I would do these to add to the volume of a workout after I'd done all of the normal ROM exercises I'd planned to do.

My plan for the rest of the day is to do a push up circuit, chest to bar chin ups, finally start the SLS work and to do some bouncing exercises. I'll log everything this evening or tomorrow morning.

LaughingTiger

After doing some reading yesterday, I decided to alter my workout plans. I want the majority of the exercise I do to be in the skills I'm trying to learn. I'll still do push ups, planks, etc. but I want the majority of the work to be skill work.

Office

I did a few rounds of cabinet supported handstands. I'm still doing these at an angle vs being completely vertical. I can hold the position much longer now and was happy about that.

Home

At home I spent most of my time doing headstand presses and handstands on the wall. I still can't do the press with straight legs. I need to continue to strengthen my core. The handstands were not as easy as the cabinet supported kind, but I was able to do multiple sessions without sapping all of my energy. :)

I did a couple of chest to bar chin ups, and wished that I had a bar that I could flip over. I did a tucked 360 pull, and spent some time in a german hang.

My new garage door will be installed on Monday. I can't wait to clean out that space and move my workouts into that room.

LaughingTiger

Yesterday's workout was once again a time of experimentation. My strength and stamina are increasing, but my body still feels really heavy during a lot of the exercises I like to do. I had gotten so caught up in trying to find bands to assist me, that I'd stopped appreciating the assistance legs can provide. I also learned that I can do a new version of a pull up. :)

I spent the bulk of the workout doing leg assisted ring dips and pull ups where the bar is behind my back. While doing the dips, I went as deep as I could. During the pull ups, I didn't go as low as I could and noticed I used more leg assistance while doing these.

I would move immediately from the dips to the pull ups and then take a break. I didn't do the same number of reps each time I did the exercises. I was surprised that my upper body, core and lower body were all being challenged by the movements. I'm curious to see what would happen if I could condition myself to be able to do this for 5 minutes or so.

After I finished with the leg assistance, I wanted to do something else. I eventually decided on side to side neutral grip pull ups. My pull up bar has two bars, so I had one hand on each of the bars. The first time I did a rep on each side, I really felt a lot of tension as I finished the second side.

Soon I was back on the bar and doing one rep each side and the tension was less intense. Before long I was able to do two reps consistently before I had to take a rest.

When I woke up this morning, I was surprised that I was pretty sore. It didn't hurt to move, I was just aware of the parts of my upper body and core that received the benefit of what I did yesterday. After moving around for a while, my body felt better. I did one rep of side to side neutral grip pull up just to see if I could before I left for work.

I'll definitely be doing double and single leg assisted exercises for the next few days. I feel much better about working this way then I did when doing the low bounces.

LaughingTiger

This weekend was good. I attended a cookout, rearranged the junk that's cluttering my garage and found time to workout.

On Saturday, I started my workout with leg assisted ring dips and pull ups. I did 5 x 12's for both exercises. This was done as one long circuit with no pauses for rest. I rested for a few minutes after the circuit and decided I would do some side to side neutral grip pull ups.

I started the first rep and pulled up to the left, lowered down and pulled up to the right and couldn't finish it. :( I thought maybe I was too tired from the leg assisted work and decided to rest a few more minutes. After the rest I still couldn't complete a rep on both sides. I came to the conclusion that at my current level, I can't do these too often.

As I substitute, I started doing partial reps of the side to side pull up. I no longer used just a neutral grip. I would lean to the left as far as I could without pulling up and then lean in the opposite direction. Since this exercise really isn't difficult, I did a few sets of 5 reps.

Next I got the idea to do leans while in support on the rings. This was a lot more difficult and on the first try, by the time I reached the 5th rep I was shaking and almost fell. It was tough, but not so strenuous that I couldn't do it multiple times. I did a circuit of leans on the pull up bar and the rings. I don't remember how many sets, but it was 5 reps per set with rest as needed.

The leg assisted work earlier had me appreciating squats again, so I did some regular squats. I still don't have everything in place to do assisted single leg squats, so I decided to wait on them.

Monday I did some quick leans on the pull up bar and rings. I was tempted to try a real side to side pull up, but decided to wait until later this evening. My new garage door was delivered and installed and I really started to appreciate a room that I had ignored for so long.

The majority of the room will still be for storage, but I am blocking off a section that will be used for exercise. I have a few ideas in my head, and will definitely be checking out DIY plans. I hope to start on this project by September, will share news and post pics once it's done.

LaughingTiger

Yesterday's workout was nice, my youngest son and my daughter have decided they want to play on the rings again.

I'm happy and scared that my almost 3 year old daughter can hold onto the rings and do a little swing. When I'm not around, I now put the rings up so that she can't reach them and swing without supervision. I worked with my youngest son to try to encourage him to develop the ability to support himself on the rings. Currently he can do momentum driven tucked 360 pulls, but can't really hold himself in support or a completely vertical inverted hang. My plan is to start using a chair to help him scale his work in support and with his pull ups.

As for my workout, I scaled things so that I could do 20 reps of every exercise I chose to perform in a continuous circuit. This meant that some of the exercises were not full ROM.

The exercises I used in the circuit were push ups, chin ups, side to side pull up leans, leg assisted ring dips, kicks, and knees.

I didn't perform the exercises in a particular order, but I did have an order to the type of exercise performed. It was knee or kick> pull exercise> knee or kick> push exercise> repeat.

I performed this circuit until I had completed 100 reps worth of pushes and pulls. After the circuit was over, I rested for a bit and then celebrated by doing a shorter circuit. This circuit was knee or kick > lateral push up lean > knee or kick > push up > knee or kick. Once again, the push ups were not full ROM.

I'll play around with high rep partial ROM exercises and lower rep full ROM exercises to see if I notice any increase in stamina. I didn't have time to do anything before I left for work this morning, but my plan for today is to do some handstand work along with another high rep circuit.

LaughingTiger

I guess I did too much on Monday, because I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do yesterday.

In the office, I did one round of cabinet supported handstand. I didn't time myself, but I doubt it was even 20 secs. I could have forced myself to hold it longer, but I didn't feel it was the thing to do.

At home, my plan was to do full ROM exercises and then follow it with high rep partial ROM exercises. However, I decided to scrap my plans, when I saw that it was a struggle just to do a regular chin up. I wasn't in any kind of pain, and didn't think I was tired but I guess I was tired. I thought about how I felt earlier when I did the handstand and decided to spend most of the evening relaxing.

Not too long before bed, I started thinking about my fatigue again. Maybe it was related to some of the leans I've been doing and not due to volume of work. I thought about resting for the rest of the week, but seriously doubted I could ignore my pull up bar and rings until Monday.

I really wanted to do some more handstand work, and ended up doing a 3 x 20 sec of something that sort of looked like downward facing dog. My legs were spread much wider and I leaned forward to put as much weight on my shoulders as possible.

I'm actually not sure what I will do today. Hopefully I'll be mature enough not to work out just for the sake of saying I did something. :roll:

Came across this cool video and it gave me some ideas for handstand work and for something that I could put into my garage. :)

RAO7OG077Ac

LaughingTiger

I'm all smiles this morning, I had a good workout yesterday. It's still a struggle to perform a regular pull up or chin up, but I'm sure I'll recover soon enough.

Office

In the office, I used my equipment cart to do some box HeSPU work. I wanted to see how that felt compared to partial ROM HeSPUs that I've done on ladders and walls. I liked the box HeSPU a lot. I was able to perform the exercise without feeling so much strain on my body.

Home

At home, I had this idea to do 3 different types of pushes (horizontal, vertical and inverted) and 2 different types of pulls (vertical and horizontal.) I'd do 2 reps per exercise for 2 or 3 sets. I'd build up the reps over time and see if this allowed a more gentle way to increase my strength.

My initial list of exercises was push up or pseudo planche push up, support or ring dip, and box HeSPU for the pushes. My pulls would be chin ups or pull ups and front lever pulls. I decided that it would be better to do rows instead of front lever pulls at this point. It didn't seem realistic to do front lever pulls until I've recovered and can do regular chin ups and pull ups again.

I did two rounds of the following exercises

5 x push ups

5 x rows

Followed by two rounds of

5 x box HeSPU(knees on box)

5 x leg assisted chin ups

I did more than 2 reps, because I felt pretty good. There was no strain felt during any of the exercise. I decided that I wouldn't do any work in support or ring dips, because that might be too much strain on me at this point. My plan is to do a similar workout this evening and then just rest until Monday.

EastWind
LaughingTiger said:
I really wanted to do some more handstand work, and ended up doing a 3 x 20 sec of something that sort of looked like downward facing dog.

I don't know if it's just an expression or you really faced you dog, but I was close to fall into head and break my neck (last week, I think) when I was doing wall HS holds and the cat came close to my face and looked at me with a funny face. Luckily, I came back on feet fast, laughing... So, I'm no longer doing anything until I make sure the cat is not in the room, it's too amusing. Even if it's not looking at me, but it's crunching those food grains, that noise is funny. :)