Help with routine

Started by Mattias, April 27, 2011 · 7 Replies · 3,079 Views

Mattias

Hey guys, i ve been working out the basic strenght routine i created with help of this website

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/t ... -training/

Iam still kind of confused how much i can train, not to overtrain...

This was basically my beginner routine:

L-sit low on PB - 6s X 10sets

Push up variation on TRX - 5 X 3 sets

Pull up negatives 5x3sets (i struggle to do 4 normal pullups :( )

Handstand 20s X 6sets =120s

Rows in a 45degree 5x3sets

So i tried to do 2 pushing and 2 pulling exercises plus a core work with L sit. Doing it 3 times a week M/T/F

Dont know if its too little or too much to do. i aim for 5reps X 3 sets with exercises. around 30 reps for push and 30reps for pull.

Its been 8 weeks already, I do couple of rest days now...

Should I alternate the exercises every workout?

What should be the proper sets if I want to improve my Pullups with 4 reps max

Mattias

i also do 2-3 min rest, 1 min rest when alternating push and pull exercise, 1 min rest between static exercise

Blairbob

Mattias, I would think a pullup program(ming) that focused on density might increase your pullup numbers.

Mattias

what means focus on density please:)?

Blairbob

Lots of reps.

Mattias

Is 15reps of pullups 3x week very little?

Fox

You can try 2 different methods, GTG or maybe pyramids.

GTG (Greasing The Groove), means that you do multiple sets of low numbers throughout the day, maybe 20+ sets of 2 reps for you. But these are numbers that you have to figure out for yourself. The idea is, that everytime you do a set you are fresh and not tired from earlier sets.

Pyramids are well known I think, try to do it in the range of 20-80% of your max reps.

But I think if you are only capable of 4 pullups, GTG is the way to go!

Hope that helps!

Bradford

Uh Oh.... Here I go pimping PR zones again...

GTG is an awesome method, especially if your numbers are really low. Just do a few chins, in your case maybe two, 75% of your max tops. Every time you walk under your bar or what have you, just do a couple. It works great.

But, if you cannot do that and want to pack it in a shorter time you can do some EDT. Like Blairbob said you need some more volume or "density" and that is what EDT is all about- escalating density training. Pick a time limit-usually 10 to 15 minutes, then do a set on the minute every minute. Start with a set you know you can do, maybe just two. If you get tired and your rep quality suffers do less reps per set until you are just pounding out singles. Usually exercises are paired in the planes they operate in: Chins and HSPU, pushups and ring rows etc. So you can toss that in as well. One set pull, one set push, then rest some, next set. If that is too much do one exercise per round. The goal is to bet your record (PR, as in PR zone) by at least one rep, or add some weight; usually that does not come until you add some volume though.

That is it in a nutshell. They worked great for me, when I started I added no weight and maybe got thirty or so. Now I can do over fifty and can do a pretty healthy session with 50 pounds of kettlebells hanging off me. That was just with PR zones. Good luck.

-Be Complete