WODs or killroy's template?

Started by Greg Thompson, April 13, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,704 Views

Greg Thompson

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. Ive read the book, got myself some rings and have been paying attention to the WODs for probably over a month now. I haven't started any gymnastics training because I wanted to finish up this phase of my strength training program. My current program consists of the basic BB lifts, plus weighted chins, dips, pushups. My immediate goals are to achieve the basic gymnastics skills i.e freestanding HS and HSPUs. Then of course add in other things like planches, and ring strength. But I also am trying to gain maybe another 5-10lbs of lean mass. Do you think following the WODs or something more focused on the FBEs progressions like in killroys template would suit me better for my goals? Thanks

Ryan Verma

I started off with killroy's template for about 4 months, then dabbled (and failed) at making my own program for about 2 more months before I got into the WODS. I felt like it was more effective, mainly because you get an idea for the difficulty of the FSPs and FBEs, so you have a better idea of how to scale them properly. I'm sure either way would work though.

Greg Thompson

thanks for your thoughts...2 more questions I just thought of. Hopefully someone chimes in. If I follow the WODs is it ok to add in an SSC to build up those holds.

and the second one the days that the WOD is ring strength would it be better to do just the ring series 1 until I am able to complete that?

Blairbob

it's possibly to run a SSC with the WOD but you would probably want to adjust the WOD in regards to the SSC you are employing.

as for ring days, scale the holds back accordingly, holding even holds@50% of max is trying during a ring series.