Need Feedback on my Program

Started by Marc Aube, April 12, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,348 Views

Marc Aube

Allright, I'm new here so I'm going to put a little background. I,m trying to be short but feel free to skip to the CliffsNotes version.

Background

I'm a french Canadian, former powerlifter in the 181 and 198 classes. Stopped competition when I entered University because I lacked the time with the weekend job and everything.

I'm currently in a cheerleading team, and I'm trying my best at tumbling & gymnastics. I did a bit of trampoline (3-4 months) last year when I entered the team (layout fulls, rudy and stuff like that). I switched from powerlifting style training to bodyweight training during summer 2010 where I was doing the "Méthode Lafay", and had to take time off recently because of shoulder problems (Impingement syndrome).

This developped during the 2-3 weeks preceding the Provincial Competition (I guess it would be State Competition in the US), where 12h of cheerleading, 5h of strength conditioning, 2h of tumbling and 24h of physical job every week were a bit too much for my shoulders. My shoulders have been making noises and cracks as long as I can remember, but my mobility/flexibility is good.

It's been 6 weeks now and my shoulder is getting better. Some movements like dips are still problematic, so I'm trying to build a training cycle around that, and do proper re-hab/pre-hab of my shoulder. I've been having issues with one of my wrist too so I want to take care of that.

CliffsNotes

Former powerlifter turned cheerleader with shoulder and wrist problem.

Program

So here's the plan :

Warm-up


  • 60s Plank
    60 reverse plank
    60s Hollow Hold
    60s Superman Hold
    60s Ring support
    60s Chin-Up grip Dead-hang

Wrist warm-up
60s planche lean (with hands backwards)

Skill Work (Handstand and press for the moment)


  • Straddle press lean (feet still on floor)
    Headstand leg extension
    3x30s handstand against a wall

Workout

3 sets of 5 for each

Ring rows feet on floor supersetted with push-ups on floor (doesn't bother the shoulder)

Weighted chin-ups (10lbs) (would do dips with them if I could)

Hanging leg-lift (tucked) ss with hyperextension

Pistols ss with bodyweight hamstring curls

Static Positions

L-Sit on PB, 5x12s

Adv frog stand, 3x20s

Conclusion and questions

That's it, it took me around 20 minutes for each part of the training but I was all over the place, I expect to be able to do it all in an hour or so. If I understand correctly (and the plan is correct too), I should keep it like this for 8-10 weeks or until everything is pretty easy then test again and change weight/time/progression ?

For the FSP, next time I would do Front lever and Back lever work and keep the exercices the same, or should I rotate them ? I will train twice a week (tuesday and thursday) so I will rotate through these 4 FSP, in pairs like today.

I have a list of gymnastic skills I want to learn :

  • tuck, straddle and pike press to handstand
    30s + Freestanding handstand
    Streuli
    Back handspring
    Standing full
    Pirouette on the PB
    Circles on the mushroom
    Muscle-Up on a bar

If anyone has tips, progressions, steps for anything in the list, feel free !

Sorry for the long post !

Larry Roseman
EmileZola said:
Allright, I'm new here so I'm going to put a little background. I,m trying to be short but feel free to skip to the CliffsNotes version.

CliffsNotes

Former powerlifter turned cheerleader with shoulder and wrist problem.

Program

So here's the plan :

Warm-up


  • 60s Plank
    60 reverse plank
    60s Hollow Hold
    60s Superman Hold
    60s Ring support
    60s Chin-Up grip Dead-hang

Wrist warm-up
60s planche lean (with hands backwards)

Skill Work (Handstand and press for the moment)


  • Straddle press lean (feet still on floor)
    Headstand leg extension
    3x30s handstand against a wall

Workout

3 sets of 5 for each

Ring rows feet on floor supersetted with push-ups on floor (doesn't bother the shoulder)

Weighted chin-ups (10lbs) (would do dips with them if I could)

Hanging leg-lift (tucked) ss with hyperextension

Pistols ss with bodyweight hamstring curls

Static Positions

L-Sit on PB, 5x12s

Adv frog stand, 3x20s

Conclusion and questions

That's it, it took me around 20 minutes for each part of the training but I was all over the place, I expect to be able to do it all in an hour or so. If I understand correctly (and the plan is correct too), I should keep it like this for 8-10 weeks or until everything is pretty easy then test again and change weight/time/progression ?

For the FSP, next time I would do Front lever and Back lever work and keep the exercices the same, or should I rotate them ? I will train twice a week (tuesday and thursday) so I will rotate through these 4 FSP, in pairs like today.

I have a list of gymnastic skills I want to learn :

  • tuck, straddle and pike press to handstand
    30s + Freestanding handstand
    Streuli
    Back handspring
    Standing full
    Pirouette on the PB
    Circles on the mushroom
    Muscle-Up on a bar

If anyone has tips, progressions, steps for anything in the list, feel free !

Sorry for the long post !

Seems like a very good plan to me. I'm not experienced enough to say though. Anyone with credentials care to comment?

As far as pain goes, have you tried trigger point therapy? I tcan be self administered in most cases.

Svend

You are doing no pressing FBEs. Is this because of your injured shoulder?

Blairbob

This sounds decent and all but you should take a look at mobilitywod.com and Ido Portal's shoulder series.

Honestly, if you are tumbling, doing some of the basic squats, deadlifts, lunges or power lifts ( power clean or snatches ) should be in there.