Any advice on hand recovery from wear and tear?

Started by Bonn, March 29, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,160 Views

Bonn

A rip recently developed in my hand and I'm just wondering how everyone here deals with rips, and maintains their hands, as well as preventing a rip from happening.

William Reed

I put neosporin on it and wrapped it when I would train, healed in less than a week. Mine happened from Bar MUs and clapping pull ups. The bar had griptape on it.

Alexander Moreen

There was a thread in the joint and rehab section that dealt with it a couple years ago, search for it for specifics but I think it boiled down to keeping your callouses small and smooth with a pumice stone and soak your hands in salt water.

Blairbob

Yep.

Cow udder balm is well known to gymnasts. Another is using teatree oil or teabag over the rip. It's a good idea to keep it lubricated. If they get dry, they crack more and basically now it's ripped another layer of skin.

When in the shower, use your fingernail to slice off the dead white skin on your callouses. If they build up too much, they just get squeezed and hang, then they rip.