I've been lurking on the forums for a while now but finally took the plunge! I was hoping someone could help me with the basics.... like, really basic. A bit of background first.
I'm 38 years old, just shy of 6 feet, at about 176 pounds. I used to exercise back in university but it's been about 10 years now since I've done any real workout at all. As a result, I'm pretty weak, even though I am healthy overall.
I can do:
12 pushups
3 chinups
30 squats (bodyweight)
Getting to the point: I would love to be able to do all the fancy progressions I read about on the forums but I can barely even do the first step on all of them. I was thinking I need to build up basic strength first.
Here is what I came up with but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments you folk may have:
Hindu Pushups 3 sets
Hindu Squats 3 sets
Chinups 3 sets
All of these done 3-4 times/week.
Does that seem adequate and am I hitting all the major muscle groups with that? Should I try pullups instead of chinups? Also, should I do any "core" workouts such as planks or HLRs, or will the above exercises suffice for the time being?
Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to give all the information you might need for advice. Oh, and I only have a pullup tower, bands, and a Swiss Ball. Thanks in advance!